Improving #FTE:externally_hosted_score template

For general discussions related to the regional servers (please do not use for general discussions about IMSLP)

Moderators: PML-CA, imslp-eu, jdeperi

jdeperi
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Improving #FTE:externally_hosted_score template

Post by jdeperi »

There are currently two FTE templates in use that I know of:

For imslp.org-hosted scores: http://www.imslp.org/wiki/MediaWiki:FTE:imslpfile
For externally-hosted scores: http://www.imslp.org/wiki/MediaWiki:FTE ... sted_score

I am using FTE:externally_hosted_score for IMSLP-US (cf. http://imslp.org/wiki/The_Rite_of_Sprin ... y,_Igor%29), but it is lacking a number of fields, as Carolus immediately pointed out. In particular, it:
  • uses "Edition" instead of "Publisher"
  • lacks Reprint=, Arranger=
  • lacks ability to stack multiple files
I discussed this some with imslp-eu (Max), who created FTE:externally_hosted_score. He recommends that we do the following:

1) Consider the existing form used to add files to imslp.org (which is based on FTE:imslpfile), and decide which fields to include as mandatory, which fields to include as optional, which additional fields (if any - either mandatory or optional) are to be specifically introduced for externally hosted files;
2) Amend FTE:externally_hosted_score accordingly

Max and I are both happy to work on this. I would prefer not to proceed to link to further scores on IMSLP-US without using a complete template to start with.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Improving #FTE:externally_hosted_score template

Post by KGill »

Would it be possible to set a flag in FTE:imslpfile for externally hosted files, rather than using and maintaining two separate templates? Not being much of a programmer myself, I can't evaluate whether that's practical, but it seems to me that it would be simpler to deal with one slightly more complex template rather than trying to update two at once (FTE:imslpfile has been dinked around with a fair number of times, and I guess we would want to keep FTE:externally_hosted_score on the cutting edge).
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I would do two things:

1) try to duplicate imslpfile as much as possible, perhaps with a US flag instead of the download button. This includes trying to make the field names as close as possible to imslpfile.
2) make an IMSLP-US specific FTE template so we don't have to re-enter the copyright status and etc. every time its used. You can do it two ways: either by having a #ftp:imslpus template, OR simply using a wrapper normal template around #fte:externally_hosted_file. Even a wrapper template around FTE is faster than only a normal template.

Max, tell me if you are having any trouble. You can remove or replace {{{int:}}} whereever appropriate.

P.S. @KGill: Reusing imslpfile itself is probably too complicated and not a good idea. I would take the duplication over the complexity in this case.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I note that http://www.imslp.org/wiki/MediaWiki:FTE:imslpfile - which is the template used for normal IMSLP files hosted at the main server - is made up of two parts:
1) the main part of the template, which covers all of the material starting with "Arranger", "Editor", etc. ; and
2) another template - {{{int:fileentries}}} - which handles the entire top part of the file-entry

Would it be possible to make a modified version of {{{int:fileentries}}} and change the code of the main template (FTE:imslpfile) to accept both (or even multiple) versions of the fileentries item to handle files hosted at different locales?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

That is what I'm planning in January... it unfortunately cannot be done with the software right now.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

I agree that the two templates absolutely should be as similar as possible.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

I'm glad that my rough FTE template for externally hosted scores is doing what it was supposed to do: providing a basic example to stimulate discussion of the IMSLP community. Without an example it was even difficult to privately discuss this subject with jdeperi and Feldmahler and understand one each other (I'm not a native English speaker, and this makes everything more difficult, too).

I really have no experience on FTE templates: this is the first one that I created. This is the reason why I did not even try to modify the #FTE:imslpfile template: I would have probably broken a critical template that is used for all scores on IMSLP! As far as I understand, we will have anyway to use a separate template for externally hosted scores, so the initial choice driven by my prudence is now confirmed by other reasons.

From my viewpoint (being currently the manager of IMSLP-EU) I would like that the template for externally hosted scores can be used for IMSLP-US, for IMSLP-EU, and possibly for any other regional servers in the future. In my rough template such objective was achieved through the variables named server_flag and file_url: server_flag is supposed to be set to the file name of an image displaying the national flag associated to the regional server; and file_url is supposed to point to the link handler script displaying the regional server's copyright disclaimer etc. . I'm fine with any different implementation that is compatible with multiple regional servers, while I would suggest to avoid one template for IMSLP-US, one for IMSLP-EU, etc., which would not be best for maintainability .

Unfortunately I'll have a very busy day today, so I will not be able to do much on this project. I have no problem if others start developing a new FTE template intended to replace my rough stub.

Max
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

I've prototyped a new FTE template, currently named externalimslpscore, which is largely harmonized with the standard imslpscore template. An example is provided at http://imslp.org/wiki/Test_page.

It supports the following attributes: Arranger; Editor; Translator; Language; Publisher Info.; Reprinted; Copyright; Misc. Notes.

Wherever applicable it makes use of the same variable names used by imslpscore, so that language localization can be based on the existing imslpscore:messages pages for different languages.

Max

P.S.: I've not yet tested all attribute combinations (present vs. not present) to check that the layout remains correctly formatted. Work in progress.
Last edited by Choralia on Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added P.S.
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

Added support for multiple (up to 5) files associated to the same edition information. See http://imslp.org/wiki/Test_page for an example to use this capability.

Max
jdeperi
Site Admin

Post by jdeperi »

This looks really good. What's let to keep me from starting to use it (aside from the fact that it doesn't have the name FTE:externally_hosted_score)?
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

I have no further plans for this template at the moment. I think we should just wait a couple of days for any additional remarks or alternative ideas from others. Maybe you can use it right now for a limited number of scores, so that it wouldn't be difficult to fix them if something is changed and it is not backward-compatible.

I expect that the discussion currently in progress about the download icon (i.e., use of a regional server flag vs. some sort of arrow) will be backward-compatible if the same image filename is eventually used.

Max
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

Looks good. It would be nice just to use the regular FTE template and modify where necessary, but this is pretty close.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
jdeperi
Site Admin

Post by jdeperi »

I would really like to start using the template. Is there any way to overcome the limitation of at most 5 stacked scores? I want to stack quite a few more when handling parts (10-15 or more, potentially).
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

jdeperi wrote:Is there any way to overcome the limitation of at most 5 stacked scores?
It's sufficient to repeatedly copy-and-paste the fragment of the FTE template that is now repeated 5 times, incrementing the indexes of the various variables by one every time. I cannot do it right now as I have to leave, but I can do it later.

Max
jdeperi
Site Admin

Post by jdeperi »

Oh. Then really there is no limitation. :-) I thought there was something structural in the way of accomplishing it. I can do it myself. Thanks Max!