I cannot download Prokofiev score in Hong Kong

For general discussions related to the regional servers (please do not use for general discussions about IMSLP)

Moderators: PML-CA, imslp-eu, jdeperi

alankwok
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

I cannot download Prokofiev score in Hong Kong

Post by alankwok »

Hi there everyone,

I am living in Hong Kong. To my true understanding, the copyright law in Hong Kong enforce a copyright for +50 years of the composer. But the imslp site prevent me downloading the score from the site when I try to download the Romeo and Juliet (ballet), Op.64. I wonder if the site could recognise I am from Hong Kong, and want the administrator correct it if there is any mistakes in the site program, or let me know if I understand the copyright law in mistake.

Here some information of the copyright law in Hong Kong from wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_Hong_Kong

I guess probably Hong Kong copyright law will be same as Canadian one. I have read the forum that the MPA(UK) doing such bad thing, turning the website down by serving a notice according to US Law for 10 days. Perhaps if Hong Kong and Canadian Law are the same, you guy all could consider another hosting in Hong Kong. I guess I could help too.

Wish you all the best and Have a Happy New Year!

Alan Kwok.
Melodia
active poster

Re: I cannot download Prokofiev score in Hong Kong

Post by Melodia »

The site has no IP blocking, if it's blocked for you it's blocked for everyone.

In this case as Prokofiev died less than 70 years ago and the piece was published after 1923, it's not PD in both Europe and the US so it stays blocked (I'm guessing it'll be put on the European server in 2014 at which point you could DL it).
alankwok
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by alankwok »

Thanks then.

I originally think the site will track the IP to determine whether the end user could download. If there is no such system, then let's wait till 2014. Thanks for your note.

Have a Happy New Year!

Alan.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

Whoops, I made a mistake -- it's actually 2024.