works on the US server

For general discussions related to the regional servers (please do not use for general discussions about IMSLP)

Moderators: PML-CA, imslp-eu, jdeperi

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

works on the US server

Post by steltz »

Is there a way I can get a list of the works/composers on the US server? The reason I am looking for this is that I am doing an information sheet for the students at my university about how to use IMSLP. The Stravinsky works are off limits here, but I know there were others where the composer falls within the life+50 term, but outside the life+70 term, hence a few of the composer's works are on the US server.

The point of that section will be that some things on the US server are OK to download, others not. How can I get a list of what's on the US server? Thanks.

[Edit] I just realized that there may not be any in this "in between" state -- once a work comes into the public domain in Canada, are the works moved from the US server onto the main one?
bsteltz
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: works on the US server

Post by KGill »

steltz wrote:once a work comes into the public domain in Canada, are the works moved from the US server onto the main one?
Yes, ideally. I don't think people have been doing this regularly, however - maybe I can spend some time on it at some point. Anyway, I think the easiest way to track the composers on the US server is through http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Composer_PD_in_US_only, though the big problem with that is that not all of the things on there have actually been moved to the US server, and also some of the folders on the server are for librettists, etc. You could also use http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:WorkPD-USonly but I guess it has a similar problem. The most direct way would be for you to be given an FTP account so you can view the folder structure yourself, because there is no master list being kept - there is a text document on there that I guess was supposed to be updated with all the names that were being added, but it hasn't been modified since 2010 so it won't be very helpful.
steltz
active poster

Re: works on the US server

Post by steltz »

Thanks, Kenny, the Category:Composer_PD_in_US_only will give me enough of what I need!
bsteltz