Moderator: Philidor

NLewis
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: IMSLP Merchandise

Post by NLewis »

KGill wrote:
NLewis wrote:The reason is that, firstly, it supports IMSLP and shows my loyalty / dedication to the site.
Are you trying to say you have more loyalty to IMSLP than the rest of us? This can't be right - let's require all sysops and other heavy contributors to get this tattoo. Better yet, let's have it branded onto all of our backs!
You missed a very important part of what I said though! "shows my loyalty".

Others may have equal loyalty to IMSLP than me, but they do not show it physically on their bodies. That is a new level of dedication...

Really, other people will randomly say "hey, I love IMSLP!", and I can meet friends that way. Plus, if I ever run into an IMSLP contributor, they'll know who I am without even asking :)

Although I suppose editing would also suffice as showing loyalty... :?
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

NLewis wrote:Others may have equal loyalty to IMSLP than me, but they do not show it physically on their bodies. That is a new level of dedication...
But you've just confirmed what I said - you want to show more loyalty than the rest of us. Obviously, given your paltry contribution count over the past few months this would be completely unacceptable.
Really, other people will randomly say "hey, I love IMSLP!", and I can meet friends that way. Plus, if I ever run into an IMSLP contributor, they'll know who I am without even asking :)
Nick, if you've fallen to the level of searching out potential friends by demonstrating your affiliation with an online volunteer classical music library (four levels of geekiness right there), then there's even less hope for you than I'd thought. Remember when you talked to other people to start conversations?

:twisted: :wink: :mrgreen: 8)
NLewis
active poster

Post by NLewis »

KGill wrote:
NLewis wrote:Others may have equal loyalty to IMSLP than me, but they do not show it physically on their bodies. That is a new level of dedication...
But you've just confirmed what I said - you want to show more loyalty than the rest of us. Obviously, given your paltry contribution count over the past few months this would be completely unacceptable.
I do not nessisarily want to show more, I just want to show it differently. Loyalty is not just expressed in terms of edit count. I also helped Emery with the copyright project, and am currently working on some sortable lists that will be revealed in the months to come.
KGill wrote: Nick, if you've fallen to the level of searching out potential friends by demonstrating your affiliation with an online volunteer classical music library (four levels of geekiness right there), then there's even less hope for you than I'd thought. Remember when you talked to other people to start conversations?
I have a quote here: "Tell me, I'll forget, show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand". You see, simply talking to people will be a forgetful experience. Having a tattoo will make the friendship memorable because it's something they can see and then I can teach them about it. Remember, you are undeniably affiliated with me: if there is no hope for me, then there must be even less hope for you 8)
Philidor
Groundskeeper

Post by Philidor »

Nick, the time will come when IMSLP will change its name. All big organisations do. They reach a point where they have a corporate mental breakdown and RE-BRAND. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but sometime. Leaving you, and your tattoo, up a creek without a paddle. You'd be like a man, newly in love, with an old girlfriend's name tattooed in an intimate area.

DON'T DO IT NICK! :mrgreen:
NLewis
active poster

Post by NLewis »

Do you really think IMSLP will change it's name? To what?

IMLP - International Music Library Project (We no longer just have scores)
IMP - International Music Project (When we are a great resource for music in general)

Music.org - When we become a complete monopoly on everything related to music :mrgreen:
Philidor
Groundskeeper

Post by Philidor »

NLewis wrote:Do you really think IMSLP will change it's name?
Yes. It's happened already so can happen again. IMSLP used to be called.... IMSLP. It then changed its name to IMSLP ~ Petrucci Music Library or IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library or IMSLP also known as Petrucci Music Library. Plus there's the legal entity which owns and controls IMSLP, which I believe is called Project Petrucci LLC. So, you have three names to choose from to tattoo on your.... arm? :? And possibly more in the future.

BTW, none of that's a criticism. IMSLP is a vigorous organisation, and such organisations evolve. As the evolution occurs it makes sense to amend the name to reflect changed circumstances.

DON'T DO IT NICK! :D
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

I think IMSLP was something of a provisional name in the first place, until something better came along. That said, so many people know of IMSLP as “Im–slip dot org” or “Eye-Em-Ess-Ell-Pee” that it would be unlikely for the url to be deprecated completely. The title is fairly much a descriptor, or an example of “what it says on the tin” as opposed to being a name, such as “Petrucci Music Library” (where the words “International” “Score” and “Project” have been dropped). It could be quite plausible for IMSLP to take over domains such as pml.org / pml.us / pml.eu and gradually drop out the reference to IMSLP altogether.

Of course, I would have no objection whatsoever to Nick tattooing the initials PML on his arm. It just might get a bit creepy if he came to visit.

PML ;-)
--
PML (talk)
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Curious is any of this merchandise still being made? The links to look at the items are not working anymore. Since this was posted 4 years ago, I can see no one has been interested in buying anything now from here.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I don't think it is. The site has vanished - so if anyone else is interested in coming up with something ... post away with your ideas.
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

We really should have a retailer or online retailer set up once again to sell merchendise to help keep IMSLP funded. If some merchendise does pop up at some point, I would be willing to buy a few things, no matter what they may be! I unfortunately wouldn't be able to help with such a thing really.

Carolus what if we set up a section on Amazon to sell merchandise along with the sheet music on there? Having the merchandise on there would have a bigger presence than on some third party site.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

Sallen112 wrote:We really should have a retailer or online retailer set up once again to sell merchendise to help keep IMSLP funded. If some merchendise does pop up at some point, I would be willing to buy a few things, no matter what they may be! I unfortunately wouldn't be able to help with such a thing really.

Carolus what if we set up a section on Amazon to sell merchandise along with the sheet music on there? Having the merchandise on there would have a bigger presence than on some third party site.
I agree with this sentiment. If it doesn't come to anything, we should probably archive this forum...clutter and all that.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
satriot

Post by satriot »

Bring back IMSLP merch!