Moderators: Philidor, gardano

gardano
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

iPad app for IMSLP: volunteers sought

Post by gardano »

Hi all,

There's an iPad app in development for the IMSLP site.

The app lists all composers and their compositions, and the compositions' scores. Tapping on a score name will transfer that score to the iPad, and let you scroll through the pages of that score. Once the score is transferred to your iPad, you have it forever, so you then can take it to practice rooms, the stage, wherever you need it!

Right now it's nearing time to start serious testing and localizing it for other languages. This is what is needed soon:
* a handful of testers to put it through its paces. A tester needs to be someone committed to testing the app in a variety of circumstances and sending in reports of any anomalies found.
* Musicians fluent in Japanese, Chinese, Italian, German, French, Portuguese, or any other language (I've got Spanish covered). There is not a lot of text to translate (perhaps one page's worth of phrases).

People who accept the challenge will receive a free copy of the app once it's out, and their names (and web sites, if any) in the credits to the app!

A generous portion of the proceeds of the app will go straight to the IMSLP project, which will help with all the costs necessary to the running of this awesome site.

Looking forward to working with you!

Gardano
pooispoois

Re: iPad app for IMSLP: volunteers sought

Post by pooispoois »

I can do the Portuguese translation. I don't own an iPad so I won't get the app but I'm not concerned :) .
Philidor
Groundskeeper

Post by Philidor »

A wonderful sounding beta tester has emerged on Twitter. I promised to pass on her details. Gardano, could you contact her?

http://twitter.com/#!/idmbassoon/status ... 9509854209
ymaccello

Post by ymaccello »

I don't own an iPad yet but I could try to help with the Japanese translation. :D
glfischler

Post by glfischler »

I would love to be a beta tester. I am putting a link to your request up on PianoAddict in this week's SuiteLinks too.
eramos

Post by eramos »

I would be glad to help. I have an iPad and my native language is spanish.
My email address is:
milalo@me.com

Regards,
-Eduardo
Philidor
Groundskeeper

Post by Philidor »

Message from Yagan on Twitter. Gardano - could you contact him direct please? 8)

http://twitter.com/#!/yagankiely/status ... 9674364929
gardano
forum adept

Post by gardano »

Wow great responses so far!

I'm getting the support email set up right now, and will contact each and every one who responded (or who were referred via Twitter).

I'm extremely happy!

Best Regards,
Gardano
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

The enthusiasm is very good!

One suggestion: Gardano, if you think the requests may overload your e-mail responding time, you can create a page on IMSLP that lists everything you need volunteers to do. That way we can have a centralized place of contact for all volunteers, instead of you having to respond to each person separately.

Also, it may not be a bad idea for you to e-mail a short blog post to Philidor if you need additional testers.

Edit: Of course, if you can handle e-mailing each volunteer personally, that'd be great.
gardano
forum adept

Post by gardano »

Good idea on setting up a page. Let me know the best place for the page to 'live', and I'll create it.

If folks need to contact me directly about the testing/translations, I've set up an email address at
padrucci@mvsicha.com.
gardano
forum adept

Post by gardano »

I've set up a page at http://imslp.org/wiki/Padrucci.

Over the next little while, I'll be adding information for testers and the curious.

--Gardano
Philidor
Groundskeeper

Post by Philidor »

imslp wrote:... a short blog post to Philidor if you need additional testers.
Done: iPad app for IMSLP: volunteers sought
Philidor
Groundskeeper

Post by Philidor »

Another Twitter tester volunteer here plus a good point about androids here. BTW I'm getting a "Sorry, that page doesn’t exist!" message from the @mvsicha Twitter account mentioned on the Padrucci wiki page. But maybe I'm jumping the gun and @mvsicha hasn't been set up yet.

ETA Another Twitter comment here about compatibility with the "ForScore score-reading/annotating app". Gardano: probably a good idea for you to keep an eye on the IMSLP Twitter feed:

http://twitter.com/#!/search/IMSLP
gardano
forum adept

Post by gardano »

Right now I'm concentrating on the iOS platform. Once the iPad version is out and stable, I will definitely be considering coding for Android.

as to the @MVSICHA account on Twitter, yes, it's now created. I'll be pushing out announcements to that account as warranted.

As Padrucci is totally dependent on the content of IMSLP for scores, the importation of PDFs from ForScore (or one's desktop via iTunes) seems not to be very useful. Unless, of course, the app gets the ability to add new scores to IMSLP directly, which is a pretty large undertaking, but certainly something worth considering for a future enhancement.

As to the annotations that might be entered in ForScore, that's a long shot, but I'll contact the ForScore developer and see if there would be that possibility. I'd imagine they would want to keep that code pretty close to their vest, however.

The app right now has the ability to print to any printer in the local wireless network that is advertising its presence, by the way.
will_in_wi

Post by will_in_wi »

I will have an iPad on Friday and IMSLP is one of the major reasons I am getting it. I would love to help test. A feature that would be tremendously helpful would be the ability to annotate scores. Perhaps I tap and hold a location on the score and a bubble pops up that I can type into. Perhaps even support the ability to use a capacitive stylus to write on the score in color.

As a student I frequently have to print out scores to write on them. Being able to annotate and then browse the annotations would be incredibly helpful.