Posts about Padrucci and IMSLPDroid.

Moderators: Philidor, gardano

Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: iPad app for IMSLP: Thoughts/Preferences

Post by Carolus »

One question that came to mind in reading this discussion was if it would be possible to have the feature present in Acrobat Pro which gives the user the following options for rotating pages:

1. All pages
2. Even pages only
3. Odd pages only
4. Individual page

I have no idea if it would even be possible, or that desirable on the iPad. It does help things when using Acrobat Pro - in fact I've fixed a number of items with incorrectly oriented pages this way.
gardano
forum adept

Post by gardano »

Carolus wrote:1. All pages
2. Even pages only
3. Odd pages only
4. Individual page
I'm working now on a Popover Menu that will appear when you're looking at a page in the score. Right now I have the following items:
1) Rotate this page 90°
2) Rotate all pages 90°
--
3) Omit this page. (I have to figure out the best way to allow a user to "un-omit" a page....)

Sounds like it needs a couple more items as per your suggestion:
1) Rotate this page 90°
2) Rotate all pages 90°
3) Rotate even pages 90°
4) Rotate odd pages 90°
--
5) Omit this page

... or something like that. Might be too confusing. I'll have to see how it scans in actual viewing in the app.

Note that rotating *again* any of the rotate items will add 90° to the rotation, so choosing "Rotate this page 90°" twice will have the effect of flipping it upside down.

One point of potential confusion that I would love to get feedback on is this:
If I've already rotated page #3 90°, and then on another page, I select "Rotate all pages 90°", what would you expect to happen to page #3, which had already been rotated?
Will W W
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Will W W »

gardano wrote:One point of potential confusion that I would love to get feedback on is this:
If I've already rotated page #3 90°, and then on another page, I select "Rotate all pages 90°", what would you expect to happen to page #3, which had already been rotated?
Page #3 should be rotated 90 degrees again, as "Rotate ALL pages 90 degrees" is selected. That way there is no ambiguity and no excptions to the commands.
If a composition has an awesome horn part...
... it is definitely a good piece!
biggirl2012

Post by biggirl2012 »

Also worth thinking about, in terms of using an iPad to actually play works from – an option to tag pages that shouldn’t be displayed (or an easily-accessible option to display only even pages, or only odd pages), since there is an entire category of works – piano four-hands – where a player will normally read only every other page, and you probably don't want to have to have controls to "skip two pages forward/back" in addition to the usual default of ~ four buttons (skip to: first page/one page back/one page forward/last page).and yes, paging is done by swiping the screen to the left or to the right, as expected. I was more thinking of automated ways of turning the page. As a violinist, I automatically try to think of ways to achieve this sans hands.... Keep a device in one's breast pocket and hit it with the inside of the elbow (naw, that's just crazy-talk!)....

NO SPAM LINKS, PLEASE.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

biggirl2012 has 13 infractions on the forum spam website I usually check. One more post with spam, and you're banned.
bsteltz
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

annacarlsson wrote:I was trying to find it (I guess it should be available now), but cannot find it. I searched for IMSLP but with no result. What is the name of the app?
It is in the title of another thread in this exact same forum. viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4936
drbass0

Post by drbass0 »

By any chance is this releasing on Android phones/tablets after the iOS versions are complete?
Judid1969

Post by Judid1969 »

Let me start off by saying I’m am REALLY excited about this post! I am a huge mac fan. My family has 2 MacBooks, 2 iPhones, and an iPad 2…plus a Time Capsule & an Airport express. I think Mac makes an awesome product because it “just works!” Anyways, given this insight into my life, after I got an iPad 2 about a year ago, I could not WAIT to figure out a way to use it in worship.
Onlyzen

Post by Onlyzen »

Tablet: iPad

Only my most essential apps on the dock. Everything else is put into folders that are organized by function on a different page, out of sight.

GoodReader: for all my documents and annotations. I am a science graduate student and so I use GoodReader/Dropbox to handle all of my papers to read, lectures, and notes.

Agenda: easy, minimalistic calendar app. Shows what I need to know in a pretty and minimalistic-design fashion.

Pages: to type up documents and notes and keep my lab log on.

Bamboo Paper: when I need pen and paper. Digitally of course.

forScore: I also use my iPad as my sheet music library. I play piano to accompany for dance classes in my city's ballet company. Being able to carry around all my music on a single device is fantastic.

Musicnotes: to hold the sheet music I purchase for my band when we practice.

Smartphone: iPhone I got the iPad first for school. So when it came time for a smartphone, iPhone 4S made sense.

Dialvetica: a great minimal "get to the contact you need to contact" app whether it is to email, message, or actually call.

Agenda: same as on the iPad.

Settings: to change things like bluetooth and whatnot.

On my iPad and iPhone, I have only two "pages" for apps: one empty homescreen, the next is a folder of other apps that I don't really use everyday. The last one is just Newsstand since it won't rid itself. (Please Apple get rid of it!)

Laptop: 15" Macbook Pro

I got rid of my dock. It was too distracting and took up screen real estate. Hiding it still bothered me since if my cursor touched an edge, it would pop up. So I axed it using Dock Gone 1.4. Still there. I just don't see it at all.

Alfred: one of the best apps for OSX out there. You gain incredible efficiency through this app. I use it for everything from launching to quitting apps. To emptying my trash can. To google searching. Very powerful.

Bartender: to clear my menubar and keep things from distracting me.

Lastly, I use fullscreen apps all the time to help me concentrate on the task at hand.