synthesized midi of arrangements vs original

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

synthesized midi of arrangements vs original

Post by steltz »

I am moving the files for Wirf dein Anliegen auf den Herrn to Elijah, which is what this is an excerpt of.

The synthesized midi is now, however, a mixture of original instrumentation and arrangements (van Ryckeghem's arrangement is for a capella rather than with orchestra).

I don't know if this matters, or if there is an order this should go in. I suspect if I put an Arrangements/Transcriptions header there it will mess up the page because there will be two headers exactly the same.

Right now, because it falls before the other two midi recordings in the order of Elijah, I have placed it before them even though the other two seem to be original instrumentations.

Is this correct, or is there a better way of handling it?
bsteltz
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: synthesized midi of arrangements vs original

Post by Carolus »

I've been thinking about the issue of synthesized audios and MIDIs for a while now. I have been eliminating all "Arrangements and Transcriptions" tabs from the audio files section as I come across them. In a strict sense, all such computer-generated files, regardless of file format, are arrangements - even those made from a notation file of the original version of a piece. Thus far, I have been placing the original instrumentation at the top of the "Synthesized/MIDI" tab and following the order used for scores in the "Arrangements and Transcriptions" tab for everything thereafter, using the level-4 headers (Complete, Selections, individual movements) as needed. For the 'original' versions, I've used the following type of level-5 description "For Organ (Composer)" - though I am starting to think it might be best to use something like "For Organ (Composer/<author of MIDI file>)" in light of the fact that very few files of this nature resemble the sound of the original work. Since the organization system we've been using for the "Arrangements and Transcriptions" tab of the scores section has been quite effective overall, I think a similar schema could be adopted for the audio section of the page. Other comments and observations are always welcome naturally.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

@Carolus: Have a look and see what you think.

http://imslp.org/wiki/Elijah,_Op.70_(Me ... hn,_Felix)

I can add a "Selections" header if you think it is needed -- for a work this long, I doubt a full recording would ever be uploaded. The sheer size of it would probably be prohibitive. However, even so, a "Selections" header might be good for clarity. Then each number in order could be divided into original instrumentation first, arranged instrumentation afterwards. Is this what you are thinking?
bsteltz
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Looks good. All I did was change the "For SATB chorus a capella" to the usual "For Mixed chorus" like the one below.