Mirrors sync after PDF file re-uploading

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

NicolasSceaux
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Mirrors sync after PDF file re-uploading

Post by NicolasSceaux »

Hi,
After reviewing works, I upload new versions of PDF files, using the procedure described in http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Score_submission_guide File maintenance/Replacing a file.
Now, it seems that some mirrors are not actually updated, as sometimes, when clicking the score link, the old version of the file is downloaded, instead of the new one.
Unfortunately I cannot reproduce it at the moment (the mirrors I get are well synced), but I am currently seeing it with the online file viewer, for instance with http://imslp.org/wiki/Phaëton,_LWV_61_( ... -Baptiste), score #30876 Complete score (urtext version):
  • with the online viewer, I see the old version ("Phaéton", "© 2009"), though I cannot see what url is used in this case.
Is there something I can do to make sure that the new version of my files are correctly updaloed? a list of mirrors I may check?
When I see a sync problem, should re-upload, or report the specific issues?
Thanks,
Nicolas
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Mirrors sync after PDF file re-uploading

Post by Carolus »

You have to be logged in to actually see the latest version of an uploaded file in your browser. Otherwise, the old version will be visible until the page cache is renewed after 2-3 days. The way to tell if your file replacement was successful is when you see the download arrow change to an "X" indicating that the file has to be tagged for copyright approval. Sometimes, if a member of the copyright team is on the site when a file is replaced, the approval takes place almost immediately. At other times, the file might not be available for a couple of hours.
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by kalliwoda »

While Carolus answer is correct for the download of files, there is a problem with the "viewer", which does not update ever(?) after file replacement - see Gounod Petite Symphony: I replaced the parts file 2 months ago, but the viewer still displays the old version.
NicolasSceaux

Post by NicolasSceaux »

Carolus wrote:You have to be logged in to actually see the latest version of an uploaded file in your browser. Otherwise, the old version will be visible until the page cache is renewed after 2-3 days. The way to tell if your file replacement was successful is when you see the download arrow change to an "X" indicating that the file has to be tagged for copyright approval. Sometimes, if a member of the copyright team is on the site when a file is replaced, the approval takes place almost immediately. At other times, the file might not be available for a couple of hours.
Thank you for your answering; my report was not precise enough, sorry. It was not about the availability of a new version shortly after the upload and before its approval, but the availability of the new version on every mirror servers, after the approval, several weeks and months later. I've observed it with this score http://imslp.org/wiki/File:PMLP64519-Hi ... Aricie.pdf. When downloading the file, depending on from which mirror the download occurred, I got either the old or the new version of the file. It was not a cache issue on my side, the downloading really happened. Unfortunately, when trying today, I do not hit the mirror which showed the obsolete version (I should have noted it when I encountered the problem). Maybe in the end this mirroring issue is fixed. However it still occurs with the online viewer.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

@Nicolas: Thanks for the clarification. This appears to be an issue with the updating of the files on the mirror servers. Thanks for mentioning it.

@Kalliwoda: The "viewer" reads files which are on Google's servers, so we have no way to ensure they are updated and no idea of when (or if) they will be updated to reflect the new version.