Workpage corrections?

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

Rob Peters
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Workpage corrections?

Post by Rob Peters »

It's a bit frustrating that one can edit/correct every contribution one has done, EXCEPT the titles on one's own workpage.

For example, I created http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Peters,_Rob
I'd like to have "Miss Brevissima (Peters, Rob)" changed to "Missa Brevissima (Peters, Rob)", missspelling. And "Messe Romantique (Peters, Rob)" to "Messe Romantique for Organ (Peters, Rob)" (to indicate it's an organ piece, not a choral one).
It's possible I'd like to have more titles changed in the future, do I have to do a forum post every time?

Also, the "Category Walker" for my work page doesn't work for some reason, so people can't search for instruments or genres.
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Workpage corrections?

Post by Carolus »

Newer users don't have move page privileges. You only signed up last week. I'll fix the items you mention in a minute.
Rob Peters
active poster

Post by Rob Peters »

Thanks for the help!

So I guess move page privileges include the ability to edit pages as well? And eventually one gets the privilege to edit one's own page? Not impatient, mind you - just curious...
And any idea what causes the issue with the Category Walker?
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

Your work pages are untagged, that means that no member of the tagging team found the time until now to tag
your compositions. The category walker uses these taggings. You have to be patient again.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

You should be able to edit the content of the pages even now. Keep in mind a couple of things:

1. The base language of the site is English. There are a number of translations in place but it appears they do not work in reverse - rendering items in English when a contributor uses another language to enter them. This is especially true of the "General Information" section of the page. If a German user puts "Violine und Klavier" in the "Instrumentation" field it will eventually be changed by an admin to "Violin and Piano" in order for it to be (hopefully) rendered into the equivalent terms in other languages (depending upon how extensive and up to date the translation matrices are).

2. Certain fields in the "General Information" section are actually 'read' by the system - the date fields in particular (first performance, composition and publication). The system needs the year to be first in order to read it. Thus if a work was first performed on June 27, 2012, it should be rendered 2017-6-27. Since exact dates of composition and publication are less often encountered, the year should appear first in those fields aslo.

3. Please put your own name in the publisher field when uploading. Making an item available at IMSLP meets the legal definition of "publication" under most copyright statutes, because a file is actually duplicated every single time someone downloads it.

4. We do have rules about page layout, treatment of arrangements, etc. that you should become familiar with before embarking on any edits. Here is the start of the Manual of Style. One of the best ways to learn is to review your own pages after they have been tagged for copyright approval. The copyright taggers usually will modify things as needed on the page to bring them in conformity with the page layout guidelines, etc.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Sorry about the tagging -- I normally do some of it, but I'm up to my eyeballs in spam at the moment, and haven't had a chance to do any tagging for 3 days. There are other librarians, but they obviously haven't had the chance to pick up the extra work.

We do eventually get there, but please just remember it's a volunteer site . . . .
bsteltz
Rob Peters
active poster

Post by Rob Peters »

Thanks for the editing, and sorry to present such a workload for you guys. I know I'm uploading a lot, but it's the bulk of the music I've written in the past 20 years.
Judging on the numbers of downloads, people find the music useful, which is of course a great motivation to continue and eventually make my work page complete.

Could you change the title "Credo for Male Choir" to "Credo No. 2" (this to distinguish it from No.1, which I uploaded today)?
Thanks again!
Rob Peters
active poster

Post by Rob Peters »

Carolus wrote:You should be able to edit the content of the pages even now.
How, exactly?
I can edit each piece's individual pages, but NOT the content of my main page, the work listing under "Compositions by:".
I don't understand why editing permissions are restricted that way. For instance, I'd like to change the titles of some pieces and add opus numbers to all the titles, in order to make them more uniform with other composers' pages here. But that'd mean filing a request here for a moderator to change 62 titles... it'd be so much more easy if I could do it myself!
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

Your composer page shows automatically the titles of your workpages. If you want to change the titles, you must do this on the corresponding work page.
Near the upper right corner you find "view history" with a little arrow on the right side. Click on it and you will find the move button. Click again. Now you can
type the new title in the corresponding box. Please be aware, that the composername in brackets must always be there. Try with one workpage and look first
what happens before continuing with more changes. If something goes wrong, probably only an admin can help.
Rob Peters
active poster

Post by Rob Peters »

Excellent, it works!
Thanks a lot!
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

Just to mention that for all sorts of technical reasons we have strict guidelines regarding the formatting of page titles. For example, it should be "Een kleine tragedie, Op.59", rather than "Incidental Music for the Play 'Een Kleine Tragedie' (A Small Tragedy), Op.59", although the latter can still appear in the general information section of the work page.
Rob Peters
active poster

Post by Rob Peters »

Thanks for the tip.

I spent a couple of hours standardizing my stuff, moving, renaming and editing a lot of pages and pieces. Everything looks fine now, I think. I got the jest of editing and copypasting stuff between pages now too.
While doing that I renamed a couple of superflous pages "deleteme", "deleteme1", "deleteme2" and so on, since I couldn't actually delete them. Could someone look these up and remove them? (since they still seem to add up to the total of pages on my composer page). Thanks!
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

If you want a page to be deleted you can edit it to include the text {{delete|reason}} (where 'reason' is any explanatory text). In addition, I noticed that you moved some pages back into the form Binicium 'Mach's mit mir, Gott'; because of our page title guidelines, 'Binicium' (or whatever the non-unique accompanying title is) should not appear there and they will be moved back accordingly. Thanks for doing all the work of splitting the pages, though :)
cellobliss

Post by cellobliss »

This might not be quite the best location for this comment, but I want to reach out to Mr. Rob Peters thanking him for uploading and sharing his Sortie No. 2 and its recording for organ. I can be reached at or through this forum, perhaps. I did find the use of your page to be efficient and effective. I appreciate the effort and organization you have put forth to distribute your pieces. I find your compositions very intriguing and want to know more, if you (Mr. Peters) have interest in corresponding. Specifically what/which registration choices are best/ideal for your work.

Again, if this forum topic is not the place for this comment, please do excuse its placement here. I look forward to continued use of IMSLP, even given its technical aspects which may be positive or negative to some users. Overall I find it a helpful resource and am glad for the efforts of those who work on its maintenance and upkeep such that users from around the world have access to music notes and sounds/recordings. Please be well and thank you specifically Mr. Peters and broadly the IMSLP community.

With the best of regards,

Eric Bliss
Huron, South Dakota, USA
organist
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Please do not post you email in full on here for your own protection due to bots and hackers.