TELEMANN CONCERTO for RECORDER and FLUTE TWV52e1

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

maurice alan quinn
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

TELEMANN CONCERTO for RECORDER and FLUTE TWV52e1

Post by maurice alan quinn »

Re ERROR in RECORDER PART - Movement #1, Bar 15
The first sixteenth-note (semiquaver) in the third beat of bar#15 in the opening movement in the recorder part IS AN E NATURAL - NOT A C NATURAL. Assuming that the source is Barenreiter Hortus Musicus where the error originates, the printed note in the score itself will confirm that it is indeed an E. Most recorder-players who have recorded this work have themselves failed to note this error. The implied harmony of the three accompanying string parts is 5/3 and not 6/4. I've known this work since 1960 or so when I obtained a DGG ARCHIV-PRODUKTION of this work; info provided me with the HM edition number from which I ordered my part. In this recording Burghard Schaeffer played the correct note. In effect this was an engraving error where two - instead of three - leger-lines was printed...
haydenmuhl
active poster

Re: TELEMANN CONCERTO for RECORDER and FLUTE TWV52e1

Post by haydenmuhl »

Your best bet at getting this corrected is contacting the typesetter via the wiki. He is still actively contributing to the wiki, but may not read the forums.
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers
Boccaccio
forum adept

Post by Boccaccio »

I'm not sure it is an error: The Manuscript from Darmstadt also has c instead of e.
Rob Peters
active poster

Post by Rob Peters »

Just checked the score - and it definitely is an error. The c doesn't fit in the e minor harmony of the strings and the correct e is confirmed by the imitation in the traverso part, the following beat.
It's so obvious that any serious player will correct it himself, like the player in your recording did.
maurice alan quinn

Thanks, Boccaccio and Rob Peters - for replies; they are extremely helpful; the traversa-imitation had not escaped my mind either. I have only just "discovered" how to access Landesbibliothek Darmstadt which has this work in parts-only. The recorder-part unbeknown to me is in the French Violin Clef and - sure enough - it is probably-incorrectly noted as a C, so I can now dismiss any inference that the work might have been "filched" from Barenreiter Hortus Musicus which - nevertheless - printed an E in the score itself. This is an example of otherwise-reliable source-material being critically questioned, and Rob Peters has ultimately put the issue beyond doubt. (Palmerston North New Zealand 06 Oct @ 22:14Zulu)
maurice alan quinn

I also bring to your attention confusion at Movt#4 bar 75 (traversa) and its answer (flauto) at bar 91; this is more difficult to resolve - the rhythm in the first beat of the affected bars are at odds in the Darmstadt parts, and it may well be that the flauto part is correct after all. In my 1952 recording (Thea v. Sparr - flauto/Burghard Schaeffer - traversa) both soloists are in-agreement with bar 92 and play both passages accordingly. Even Barenreiter HM#124 on which my LP is based - in confused on this issue.