File revision not implemented?

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

rdtennent
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

File revision not implemented?

Post by rdtennent »

At http://imslp.org/wiki/Kinderszenen,_Op. ... Tennent.29, I've submitted a revised file with minor improvements. Access was blocked for a day, which I understand. But after, the file available is still the unrevised version. Thinking I uploaded the old version by mistake, I re-submitted the revised file, but it is still not available from IMSLP. Is it just that a mirror is slow to synchronize? How can I access an up-to-date mirror?

Bob T.
cypressdome
active poster

Re: File revision not implemented?

Post by cypressdome »

I went to the file's page to view the different versions. The Sept. 12, Oct. 25, and Oct. 26 versions all appear to be identical to me. They are all different from the Sept. 11th version in measure 8. Perhaps you could add a revision date or number below the copyright notice and upload another new version so we can see if it shows up different from the last three versions.
rdtennent
forum adept

Post by rdtennent »

The Sept. 12, Oct. 25, and Oct. 26 versions all appear to be identical to me.
Look for "a tempo" on the top left of the 3rd system. There's also an alternative (small} note in the bass-recorder part in measure 11. This is all in the file history Comments.

The preview on the file page is right. But the download file is not.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Bob, are you positive your latest new version of the file (26 Oct.) was exactly the same upload as the one from the 25th? What I'm seeing is that the 12 Sep. and 26 Oct. files are identical, and 'incorrect', while the 25 Oct. version has all of the changes mentioned. (A direct link to the latter version is here.) This is the case both logged in and logged out; one guess was that my copyright reviewer rights were tampering with what's being shown, but I don't believe that's the case.
rdtennent
forum adept

Post by rdtennent »

are you positive your latest new version of the file (26 Oct.) was exactly the same upload as the one from the 25th?
No doubt Murphy's Law is applicable but I did check before and after uploading on the 26th. And I did that because the upload on the 25th didn't seem to be right. Yet now you say it is right. I think something's not working.
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

Looking at them now KGill is right about what the versions show but I would swear that when I looked at them this morning I didn't see any a tempo marking (and I was looking for it based on the version comments). I'm going to revert it back to the Oct. 25th version and delete the others.
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

Well, something bizarre is going on. I reverted it to the correct file but when you open it within the browser or download it it's the wrong file (no a tempo and no alternate note). Also, the file is still available to download on the work page when I was under the impression that it would have to pass copyright review since the system acts as if I uploaded a new version. Could this be some type of server cache problem?
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

I too am now seeing the old revision only; its modification time is given as Fri 12 Sep 2014 08:39:58 AM EDT (!). I just tested things out by manually tagging the file U/U/U, and what happened was that the correct file was copied to http://imslp.org/imglnks/restimg/4/49/e ... inder4.pdf. After marking it once more as !N/!N/!N, the same old, incorrect version is displayed once again in its usual public directory.

I'm going to say this has to be a bug, and even if at least some of this behavior was intended for (at a guess) server load reasons, I really think it should always be much more obvious that a new version of a file is uploaded: its cache should be purged immediately or as soon as possible, so that the newest version is always accessible without delay.
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

Interestingly, the thumbnail shows the correct version (with the a tempo indication). I wonder if we just give it a couple of days if this correct version will be displayed/downloaded when the file is opened.
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

There are other examples of this behaviour (Complete Score in the first example, continuo part in the second one):

http://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony_in_F_maj ... n,_Karl%29
http://imslp.org/wiki/Brandenburg_Conce ... bastian%29

The actual version is not the one which downloads, even in the case of Paulsson, where i deleted the previous version.
wrshannon
regular poster

Post by wrshannon »

I had what may be a similar experience when I uploaded a revision to Cabanilles Tiento No.34 on October 13. When I tested up to three days after uploading, I found that sometimes the old edition downloaded, and sometimes the revised edition downloaded – seemingly randomly. May be that some of the servers were updating and some not for several days?
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

Or some servers do not update at all? The not updated file in the example "Brandenburg 4" is about 2 years old.
wrshannon
regular poster

Post by wrshannon »

Notenschreiber wrote:Or some servers do not update at all? The not updated file in the example "Brandenburg 4" is about 2 years old.
It sure seems so. I just downloaded the Tiento No.34 and the unrevised edition appeared after more than two weeks.
(The revision version is shown in the score header: should be rev.a)
reccmo
active poster

Post by reccmo »

According to the file history Cypressdome reverted the score file to the version from 25 October 2014 referring to this discussion. It looks like there is a misunderstanding going on here. On my request Bob prepared an update of his recorder arrangement the result is which is the thumbnail image displayed in the file history. So I ask for having this version published as pdf score.
rdtennent
forum adept

Post by rdtennent »

Christian: The problem isn't in the reversion, which was an unsuccessful attempt to provide the correct PDF. The problem seems to be a software bug. I presume someone somewhere is trying to pin this down. Could that be confirmed or do I have to report the issue to a system admin?

Bob T.