Language issue for 4 Romances, Op.41 (Rimsky-Korsakov)

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

Zeyar Shwe
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Language issue for 4 Romances, Op.41 (Rimsky-Korsakov)

Post by Zeyar Shwe »

I have uploaded 3 songs a couple of days ago to 4 Romances, Op.41 (Rimsky-Korsakov) . The version I uploaded were the versions with French and Russian lyrics. Because of that I have supplied the French titles ( French translation of the titles), when I uploaded. But the administrator has changed the French titles to English titles. Because the files were not English versions but the French versions, the titles should be changed back to French. That way, it would be seen clearly that they were the French versions and not English versions.
cypressdome
active poster

Re: Language issue for 4 Romances, Op.41 (Rimsky-Korsakov)

Post by cypressdome »

Within the publication information for those three songs is a language field that informs users that the scores include Russian and French text.
Zeyar Shwe
active poster

Post by Zeyar Shwe »

Thanks for the reply.But the name of the song has been given in English ,not French even if there is a language field that informs users that the scores include Russian and French text. If the vocal score is in English, you would not like it if someone has changed the name to French even if there is a language field that informs users that the scores include Russian and English text. I would like to request that the name be changed back to the French name if you happen to be the administrator who changed the French name I have given ( when I uploaded it) to the English name.
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

Hi Zeyar. I'm not the admin who edited your page, but the correct procedure was followed in this case. That's because the original texts and first publication of these songs (1897) was in Russian only, and it's IMSLP's policy to translate all Russian titles into English. We do this because most of our users wouldn't recognise the Russian titles, even if they were romanised from the Cyrillic alphabets (although we can give them as alternative titles in the general information section).

It would only have been correct to give the French titles if Rimsky-Korsakov had originally set the songs to French texts, which wasn't the case here. I hope that clears up any misunderstandings.
Zeyar Shwe
active poster

Post by Zeyar Shwe »

Hi Davidov. Thank you for explaining and I now know that the admin who changed the name was just following IMSLP's policy . I would disagree with the policy regarding the vocal score. For the original Russian version, it is very appropriate to change the Russian name to English name. But the vocal scores in French or German ect, the name should be in the language of the vocal score.