Use of P template- please explain

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

Zeyar Shwe
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Use of P template- please explain

Post by Zeyar Shwe »

I thank Carolus very much because he has kindly explained the use of P template on the forum. He explained that the he important thing to remember about using the P template is that the first publisher field, the one right after the opening P, should ideally match an actual publisher category. Thus, you would need to use "Breitkopf und Härtel" in that field, and use any variant of the name which actually appears in the scan in the second field. From that I understood that the actual publisher like B. Schott's Söhne should be in the first publisher field and any variant in the second field.

But in one of my uploads the admin has changed my template to {{P|Schott|B. Schott's Söhne|London|n.d.(ca.1870)|||1164}} putting the publisher and the variant the other way round. Another thing that perplexes me is that when I used the variant of B. Schott's Söhne like Schott Freres (Brussels), the admin corrected my P template by removing ' Freres' leaving only ' Schott'. Maybe I do not understand the use of P template well yet ? Even after Carolus' explanation, I seem to be groping in the dark.

In my understanding, all the publishers listed in the IMSLP publishers list should go to the fist publisher field. ( Please correct me if I am wrong in that supposition.) Even if the publisher is no longer extant like Imbault (1784-1812), do I still put in the the first publisher field ?

For the publishers which are not listed in the IMSLP publishers list, do I put them in the second field ? I would be grateful if Carolus or any admin would kindly explain. I do not want to create any unnecessary extra work for the admins, if I use the P template incorrectly and they have to correct my mistakes.
Zeyar Shwe
active poster

Re: Use of P template- please explain

Post by Zeyar Shwe »

Please, please someone help me.

I uploaded a score published by Cousineau today and since it is listed in the IMSLP publishers list, I put it in the first publisher field. But the admin has edited and moved it to the second field. It cannot be due to the fact Cousineau is not extant now because I find that some other publishers who are not extant anymore go to the first publisher field.

I am really perplexed. How do I decide which publishers go into first and which to second field ? I am pretty sure that the publishers who are not listed in the IMSLP publisher list go into second field. But those in the IMSLP publisher list, what is the criteria to decide which go into the first and which to second field ?

If no explanation is forthcoming,I will still be guessing and the admin has no right to send me messages telling me that my use of the P template is sloppy.
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

The publisher name that goes into the first field serves as a link to the publisher's individual page. Those links can be seen in the first column of the table on IMSLP:Music_Publishers. So, in the case of Schott, "Schott" would go in the first field (and therefore the link points to Schott and the name you want displayed (such as B. Schott's Söhne) on the work page would go into the second field. If the name you input in the first field doesn't have its own page, such as Cousineau, then the link that appears simply points to IMSLP:Music_Publishers. There appears to be no consensus on whether a publisher without a page should appear in either the first or second fields. The benefit of putting it in the first field is that it then populates the page in one of the "Scores published by ..." categories. Hope this helps.
Zeyar Shwe
active poster

Post by Zeyar Shwe »

Thank you cypressdome. You have explained it very well. Only now I discovered that some publishers do not have a link to an individual page.

In the case of Cousineau, which has not a link to its own page, it is a matter of my choice I take it. I also think that putting it in the first field, there is an advantage of having ' scores published by Cousineau' at the bottom of the page. When the admin moved it to the second field, ' scores published by Cousineau' at the bottom of the page disappeared. In my humble opinion, putting it in the first field will help people doing research on finding scores published by publishers without its own page..

I was thinking that the admin was correcting my mistake. Now I know that even though he has changed the template that I have submitted, it was not because I have made a mistake, but we have different views on where to put a publisher without its own page.

Thank you cypressdome. You have really helped me, not once but several times. You were the one who showed me how to use part of the URL to link to the site. You have helped me by creating the Template for the International Harp Archives and by the use of the template I now know that IMSLP now has nearly 1450 scores from the Harp Archives.Very recently you have helped me by advising the use of Tiff from the Library of Congress. I really appreciate the time you give to help inexperienced contributors like us. I am really grateful.