piano

Moderator: kcleung

interpol

piano

Post by interpol »

hi,
i want to know how i can learn play piano with 2 hands at the same time.
thanks
Benjamin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Benjamin »

Maybe you can find some tutorials on youtube.

Perhaps, you also can teach it yourself, if you can read notes, take a very easy piece and practice at a very slow speed.

But, its, however, only a small part you can do by yourself, my advice is, to search for a good teacher.
scottorr
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: piano

Post by scottorr »

I would seriously look into 'Step by Step' beginner method designed by Edna Mae Burnam, by Willis Publishing.

It is one of my favourite beginner piano methods that can be used even if you're not a beginner because it has the student begin playing hands together almost immediately. Have a look into it, either at your local music store or online. There are also great supplementary books called "Dozen a Day"s that are technical exercises.

Working through the Dozen a Day books, doing a couple of these a day would greatly help your concurrent hand utilization skills.

Plus, she must've been doing something right, she lived to be a 100!

Dozen a Day books
SeanMartin
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by SeanMartin »

interpol wrote:hi,
thanks
I finally have to succumb to the temptation and write it before I go mad...

"Practice."

God, I feel so much better.
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

SeanMartin wrote:
interpol wrote:hi,
thanks
I finally have to succumb to the temptation and write it before I go mad...

"Practice."

God, I feel so much better.
That's absolutely right...and that's the same thing I tell my husband when he asks me for instant tricks and quick fixes to "help him learn to read music". (He's self-taught and plays almost entirely by ear, improvises brilliantly but struggles to read a score...I'm the exact opposite. Long story.)

Just do it - again and again and again until it becomes automatic and you can do it in your sleep. Just the same way that you learned to ride your bicycle as a child. (And to continue the bicycle analogy, once you've learned it, you will never forget, even if you go for years without playing.)

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

aldona wrote:(And to continue the bicycle analogy, once you've learned it, you will never forget, even if you go for years without playing.)
I certainly forgot how to play well with two hands on the piano...

Anyways, to be more helpful, I always thought practicing one hand at a time always did the trick. Then after you feel comfortable with playing each hand by themselves at separate times, you should try playing both at the same time at a slower tempo. Then speed it up little by little until you can master playing the phrase with both hands at the same time at performance speed.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

Well I recently picked up my clarinet for the first time in eight years and certainly didn't forget too much as far as HOW to play, but I don't have nearly the dexterity I had (plus the fact it's a bit broken doesn't help),
SeanMartin
forum adept

Post by SeanMartin »

Truly, isnt it odd how muscle memory comes roaring back when needed? I used to study the accordion and became pretty gosh-darn good at it. But I hadnt touched one in two decades until just recently and discovered, to my joy, that I could still play -- almost note-perfect -- a particular classical piece I havent looked at in all that time, even with all the tricky left-hand work (which, on an accordion, is a real feat sometimes).
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

I said I forgot how to play well.
SeanMartin
forum adept

Post by SeanMartin »

"I don't play accurately - any one can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression." -- Oscar Wilde
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

ahh....... the (in)famous Oscar Wilde...

Don't worry, I quoted him before on the forum. :)
SeanMartin
forum adept

Post by SeanMartin »

But it's a quote we should all remember... :)
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

Was he talking about a musical instrument when he said that?
SeanMartin
forum adept

Post by SeanMartin »

Oh child, please dont tell me you've never seen or read THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST.

If you havent, hie thee -- now! -- to gutenberg.org and download the script, then pour a nice glass of sherry, turn on some Walter Piston, and quietly read. You'll love it, trust me.
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

I'll check it out.