New look for Forums? Ugh....

Moderator: kcleung

Melodia
active poster

New look for Forums? Ugh....

Post by Melodia »

Unless I'm completely missing an option, it seems there's no way to change the skin.
The new one is horrible -- I can barely tell the difference between subforums with new posts and ones without. The general layout doesn't look as nice -- the speration between posts is mostly missing. It may seem 'cleaner' but it makes it look sloppier, IMO.
I know from other forums there's a way of giving -people a choice of skin, so how about it?
pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: New look for Forums? Ugh....

Post by pml »

I was wondering when the old board would be upgraded - many other forums use the newer version of the phpBB.

Some things are a bit uglier, I prefer the colour scheme of this one however...

The main thing to remember to do when posting is click Preview or Submit, rather than Save, which makes your post disappear into a draft folder somewhere.

Regards, Philip
--
PML (talk)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

The admin board is soooooo much cleaner and actually logical!!!! I can find things easily in the admin panel! (And I think I can allow avatars (remotely hosted) without having SOME people host giant pictures).

The moderator options are also so much easier and there are more options.

In terms of things normal people can view.... I like the colour scheme, how the account details are on the right hand side of the post. The 'online' banner is also MUCH better.

I'd like the get rid of the phpBB logo and put IMSLP on it.

I actually really like it!
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Well, I woke up and suddenly decided that I was going to upgrade the forums right away. Wanted to do so for a long while (especially considering how horribly bad security-wise phpBB's record is), but never got the drive to wade through phpBB, which is not exactly the most exciting piece of software to work on. Even this upgrade has been much less than stellar. But hey, it does the trick. (Do report any bugs etc to me)

Melodia: I'm not going to do anything more tonight, but apparently the old skin can be installed on phpBB3. Perhaps a project for another day. Though considering how many things I still have to do on the wiki, this may take a while. The fact that it is phpBB also does not help :S
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

On the topic of skins. Regardless on thoughts on this skin, I do not like the idea of multiple skins for users.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Any particular reason Yagan? (Just curious.)
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Unless I'm completely missing something, I can't find where to change my profile. Where is that button or link?

Also, one potential problem with the color scheme: can color-blind people see which threads have new material? These are highlighted in red.

I prefer to be able to use my own color scheme.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Having multiple skins distracts people from the content of the forums, I agree that the current colour theme could be improved, but the layout and functionality is greatly improved.
Unless I'm completely missing something, I can't find where to change my profile. Where is that button or link?
Top left, 'user control panel'.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

Well the main thing is the icons for "new posts" verses "no new posts" are way too close to each other. If just this gets fixed, it'll be great. I think the main problem with the general look, though, is there's too much blue and not enough of everything else.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

Sorry about the huge picture....
Sorry...
and again....
(That should prevent future attacks. Maybe)
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

What picture?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Sorry about the huge picture....
Sorry...
and again....
You better be!

@feldmahler, perlnerd had a small (kbs), but large (px) avatar, which proved to be a problem because the old forum wouldn't let me restrict the size. However, this one seems to allow me to.

Perlnerd, could you try the same avatar again?
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

On my control panel this message appears under "Edit avatar":
The avatar functionality is currently disabled.
Is there a reason why some avatars show and others aren't allowed at all?

Also, it seems one of the features of the new Forums is that a lot of spam is getting through. Can some sort of deterrent be installed, such as a test as part of new registrations?
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Hi Lyle,

It might have something to do that I uploaded my graphic picture about a year or more ago, even though the earlier version of the phpBB board didn't support it back then...

I am receiving the "avatar functionality" error message like you, however on the other hand the system seems to be aware of the previously uploaded image and is using it...

R, PML
--
PML (talk)
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

It seems we're getting more spam too....