Missing Music

Moderator: kcleung

jackthomas
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Missing Music

Post by jackthomas »

I started up the old computer and wanted to play some music off of my hard drive. What happened? The files were all missing! Numerous albums. I'm talking years of work... gone. It freaked me the hell out. So much time spent on this obsession, wasted. I was lucky enough to have some of it backed up, which is a must now that I have been exposed to this problem.

I look at the hard drive and it says that X amount of space is still being used. I assume it's still got to be there, but the files are ALL GONE. I can't see any of them. Too bad right? Wrong.

I notice that WMP has them in their library still. I can still access them through that and play them just fine. So where have all the songs gone? Why can't I see them? I don't know, I'm not a computer expert, but I found a way to fix it.

I selected my drive from My Computer and right clicked on it. I chose the tools option and then from there did the error checking. I let it do its magic with all the automated options clicked. A few hours later, the entire drive was restored and all files were visible. I've gone through a dozen albums and found the files still work and now have backed up all files in case the same problem arises and they are gone forever.

This may not work for everyone as some of you may have malware at work or some other problem. But I read the posts on a bunch of these forums and none of them seemed to offer answers. So I hope this helps. Tell me if it works for you guys with this problem!
allegroamabile
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Missing Music

Post by allegroamabile »

What kind of music did you have on there?

I kind of sounded like something you would read on a computer discussion forum. What was your motive to post it on imslp?

juss askin'

Regards
Last edited by allegroamabile on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

That's why I run a backup to an external drive every day.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

it's spam.
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

Forum Admins: If you find spam like this, please remove the spam links (including the ones in the signature). Thanks.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I left it in for those who commented to see. I'll delete this tomorrow (even if they haven't seen it yet).