83%

Total votes: 6

Philidor
Groundskeeper
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Happy Christmas!

Post by Philidor »

A very happy Christmas to everyone at IMSLP. :)

Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Happy Christmas!

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Maybe not?

(Just clarification, I don't actually believe in religion)
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Happy Christmas!

Post by aldona »

The book of Psalms is the "songbook" of the Bible. Many of the psalms have authors attributed (e.g. "a psalm of David") but I do not see anything resembling a copyright notice, or any instruction to "contact King David to gain permission before performing or copying this song". Does this mean that a "Creative Commons" - like system is the Biblical way? :?:

A couple of Jesus' teachings that may have a bearing on this situation:

"A worker is worthy of his food." (Matthew 10:10). i.e. if someone performs work, he/she deserves to be paid/recompensed for it.

"Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's." (Matthew 22:21). i.e. give to every person what they are due according to the laws of the land you live in. (often applied to e.g. paying an honest tax even if you think the government are a bunch of crooks).

Just a couple of random thoughts.

For the record, I consider myself a Christian (although I have been informed by other Christians that I am not, and I do not fit comfortably into any one denomination - and if I had lived 500 years ago I would probably have been burnt at the stake as a heretic.) :evil:

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis