Antiquarian Sheet Music Book

Moderator: kcleung

Etta Lee
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Antiquarian Sheet Music Book

Post by Etta Lee »

I came across an old book of sheet music from the mid 1800's. There are compositions by Beethoven, Franz Schubert, A. Diabelli, Jules Schuloff and others. Each piece is printed by a different publisher, J. Schuberth, Wm A. Pond & Co., G. Andre et Co., Philadelphia all from around the same 1865-1869 time period. They seem to be original, individual, music sheets bound together in the large format quarto-leather binding. This appears to be a one of a kind book (actually there are two in the set) because on the cover of each is a leather label with the name Etta Lee and she appears to have been either a teacher or a student at the "Yellow Springs Musical Institute" in Ohio which no longer exists. Her handwriting is indicative of the 1800's.

Does this interest anyone? I am trying to research Etta Lee, The Musical Institute and the different publishers for their historical value, and to find out who might appreciate most having this in their collection, either an individual or a museum of music, etc...

Any ideas or leads or tips are appreciated. Thanks.

E L

PS: The pieces in the 1st book are:
Pensierosa
Invitation a la dance
Sonata Pathetique (Adagio)
Adelaide Op 17
Ernst Elegie mit Spohrs Intro Op 10
Trosieme Nocturne
Premiere Elegie
Trauer-Marsch
Parting Song
L'Argentine (Silver Thistle)
Rosamunde
Standchen
Le Reveli d'un beau Jour
Woman's Tears (Polka Mazurka)
Frauenherz (Polka Mazurka)
1 Melodie (Album fur die Jugend)
2 Soldatenmarsch
3 Stuckchen
4 Trallerliedchen
5 Ein Choral
6 Armes Weisankind
7 Kleine Studie
Traumerri
Romanze
Air Bohemien (Russe)
La Belle du Soir
Sonates #4
Sonate in C Op 24 #1
Valse Brillante
Qui Vive! Op 12
Jean-Séb
forum adept

Re: Antiquarian Sheet Music Book

Post by Jean-Séb »

This kind of bound book collecting popular scores was rather common in the second half of the 19th Century for young ladies. It is often fun to sight-read and play. Although you do not mention the composers with each title, it seems to me that most of the items are pretty well-known. For example the final "Qui vive" by Ganz was quite popular especially in its 4H version and is still played:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqYNoCf5ckk
Jean-Séb
Etta Lee

Post by Etta Lee »

Yes, that's exactly what is seems like, that the two books were bound either by Etta Lee herself or by someone as a gift. The pages are lovely and old and some contain pictures so it's very attractive. There is even a signature by Theodore Thomas of the Theo. Thomas Orchestra. The outside is pretty beat up though.

Thanks
kallin121

Post by kallin121 »

Jean-Séb wrote:This kind of bound book collecting popular scores was rather common in the second half of the 19th Century for young ladies. It is often fun to sight-read and play. Although you do not mention the composers with each title, it seems to me that most of the items are pretty well-known. For example the final "Qui vive" by Ganz was quite popular especially in its 4H version and is still played:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqYNoCf5ckk
Jean-Séb
yeah 4h version are stilled played you are right.

thanks!!
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Well I would be happy to have a look at your "book" if the distance between you and I was closer. :-) AFAIK such a book is called a "fake book". I've got quite a few here. But two features of such such books strike me and I'll like to know if this is the same for your book:

1. There are no pianist's fingerings added in any score,

2. The right-bottom of the right pages bear no sign of frequent page turning, while the same place in new scores I bought a couple a years ago are somewhat darkened by my frequent page turnings.

Therefore it seems such "books" were never played after they were bound together. How does your "book" look like? It seems each score in there was sold as a set of double-pages without binding and the owner wanted to make the set more durable. :-)