Wikipedia

Moderator: kcleung

tinkudi

Wikipedia

Post by tinkudi »

What do you call the hours spent jumping around wikipedia? If you look up something on Wikipedia and then your one search leads around Wikipedia for hours and hours. This usually involves hundreds of internet tabs and procrastination of homework.
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Wikipedia

Post by coulonnus »

Sometimes the Wikipedia pages don't have the links to other relevant Wikipedia pages.

I suggest you make an advanced Google search http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en with Search within a site or domain=http://en.wikipedia.org. If there are too many results you can also chose unwanted words so pages with those words don't show up.

Hope this helps.
Will W W
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Will W W »

Perhaps "link surfing" is closer to what you're looking for?
If a composition has an awesome horn part...
... it is definitely a good piece!
glen7565

Post by glen7565 »

Wikipedia can be very frustrating indeed, sure it is a great source of information but where it does fall down is when it just sends you of in a tangent with its internal linking structure and before you know it you are on off - topic. I will check out the couple of links other members have kindly submitted to see if they produce better results.
coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by coulonnus »

glen7565 wrote:Wikipedia can be very frustrating indeed [...]
Does your browser have a left-arrow icon to move back to the last page you visited? Otherwise I suggest:
1: Click on your browser's icon twice so you obtain two browser windows.
2: Find the first interesting page with the left window
3: copy-paste the URL into the right window URL field, <return> and you will obtain the same page
4: "surf" from the right window.
5: If you become too frustrated go back to step 3. :)