Search results with Youtube

Moderator: kcleung

coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Search results with Youtube

Post by coulonnus »

When I make a search with http://www.youtube.com/ - music or another interesting topic - Youtube tries to please me with many results that have only some of my search terms. e.g. woelfl sonata "c minor" gives about 1,010,000 results! Only the first one contains all my search terms. And in some cases the relevant results(s) is far away in the list. Is there a workaround to make Youtube more rigourous?
horndude77
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Search results with Youtube

Post by horndude77 »

Use quotes around terms that must be included. For example "woelfl" "sonata" "c minor" has only 29 results. Google used to use '+' for this. This was changed to quotes (I'm not sure when). I'd bet that youtube uses a similar syntax as google: https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/136861.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Thanks. That's already an improvement. Do you know if Youtube's search engine is based on Google? When I click on video from a Google page I obtain the same sort of "approximation", but not the same results. :-)
horndude77
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by horndude77 »

I don't know for sure, but I assume that youtube and google use a similar syntax (being part of the same company whose expertise is search). I believe 'video' from google searches more than just youtube and most likely weighs results differently.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

horndude77 wrote:I believe 'video' from google searches more than just youtube...
Right. You can say site:youtube.com in the search field if you want this restriction. Now the sets of results are almost the sames between Google and Youtube.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

coulonnus wrote:When I make a search with http://www.youtube.com/ - music or another interesting topic - Youtube tries to please me with many results that have only some of my search terms. e.g. woelfl sonata "c minor" gives about 1,010,000 results!
I found a more efficient workaround: use the "classical" Google and type site:www.youtube.com stuff1 stuff2 ...
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

coulonnus wrote:I found a more efficient workaround: use the "classical" Google and type site:www.youtube.com stuff1 stuff2 ...
But some results of this method are locked for some reason.