Moderator: kcleung

emeraldimp
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by emeraldimp »

Since you're (nearly) a linguistics geek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_switching

(Incidentally, you should consider taking an introductory linguistics course sometime if you haven't already... Especially if Dan Jurafsky's the prof.)

EDIT: And no, idioms aren't restricted, so long as you spell them "correctly". :-)
danielsanbebe

Post by danielsanbebe »

I guess Ill go ahead and tell you what you want to hear: that you are an expert at linguistics and I am not. Well, NEWSFLASH, I am not! You see, inside the context of my grade seven lessons at school, I do happen to consider myself better than most kids. Still, though, it cannot be even nearly compared to your, for one, incommensurable level at linguistics. Remeeeeember mister, all inside specific topics and contexts (I do kind of understand you were expecting me to be a graduated scholar from ten ancient languages or whatever; but sahem, Im not).

That was one post that was not constructive. Arrogance isnt always the way.

P.S. I hope you do understand the definition of sarcasm.
"A man in the audience while the applause was taking place after Chopin played his Nocturne Op. 15 No. 3, talking to his companions, "hats off gentlemen; we are in front of a genious"".
Sebastian
regular poster

Post by Sebastian »

My troll detector is beeping, but I'll bite anyway: Chill, dude. If you wanna mouth your humor and be provocative, you must be prepared to take the humor people throw back at you. After all, you're the one who basically labelled us as old fashioned ultra conservative jargon haters who can't keep up with the latest trends and have never heard of jazz ;-).

Besides, I can't really see how emeraldimp was being arrogant. Seems like a perfectly friendly comment to me :-).
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

Sebastian wrote:Besides, I can't really see how emeraldimp was being arrogant. Seems like a perfectly friendly comment to me :-).
Aye, that's so. Whether or not you want to pursue a career in linguistics, it's a fascinating field, and the introductory courses I've seen tend to be quite good & broad.

(And I'm *not* an expert, just an enthusiast.)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Oh my God, dont tell me you also hate the internet jargon!
I've been on very geeky forums for almost 6 years now, that isn't internet jargon and the internet frowns very much on it. leet (elite/1337) is an internet font, but not jargon either. Internet jargon more closely resembles memes. For example, 'o rly', 'ftw', and 'all your base are belong to us'. Spelling of 'you' as 'u' may be common on some forums, but on geeky and less social forums, that are frowned upon.
It´s like the latest trend! Even my violin teacher uses it! I don´t consider it to be wrong, nor a misuse of language.
It has been around since probably around 1992-1998.
I simply consider it to be a way of abbreviating, making absolutely clear what I mean when using them.
If you truly wish to make things clear, avoid it. I always have to reread posts that have such abbreviations to make sure I understand properly. I often have to scour the post to see if commas or full stops (periods) have been omitted that change the meaning of a sentence.
It is actually VERY common to see internet jargon, including "formal" abbreviations nowadays, even in this very forum.
I assure you it isn't common here. I remember a maximum of about 5 posters who do it out of... what?... 1400 (guess). Not to mention that abbreviations are not internet jargon, they are chatroom jargon.
Why stigmatize? Its kinda (sorry, kind of) like stopping evolution.
To be honest it is closer to Newspeak than evolution.
Listen to some Jazz too, or some other music; sometimes the musicians play a bit off key. But, havent you?
That isn't a valid analogy.
P.S. I hope you do understand the definition of sarcasm.
There is absolutely no need for such aggressive behaviour here. None of us are forcing you to write in a correct way, we are merely asking you to. That is why I said I wasn't acting as an admin when I said what I said. I don't want to control you, but it is considerate to write correctly here.

Aye, that's so. Whether or not you want to pursue a career in linguistics, it's a fascinating field, and the introductory courses I've seen tend to be quite good & broad.

(And I'm *not* an expert, just an enthusiast.)
I to find the subject very interesting, it's just a shame that I don't have time to pursue any form of study in the subject.
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Re: Just want to say Hello!

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

Hello Steph, thanks for spamming our forums. It has been a pleasure to block your account and delete the spam links from your signature. Please never come back again.
Peterdyson49
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peterdyson49 »

To re-iterate a request... this is an international forum so if you are writing in English, please, please use plain English we can all understand. You would fall off your chair if you put the abbreviated (dare I say lazy) English format into a translator.. it is bad enough with plain language.
Peter Dyson Russia.
Aayla_Secura

Post by Aayla_Secura »

hey, I'm a newbie here. Decided to join as I seemed to be coming here for answers quite regularly, I look forward to getting to know you all, will save the questions for tomoz as I gotta run x
KittyCathy

Post by KittyCathy »

Hi! I'm also new here. Nice to meet you.