Windows 10

Moderator: kcleung

Sallen112
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Windows 10

Post by Sallen112 »

I have been keeping up with the news alot lately with the next Microsoft Operating System coming out tomorrow. Will be curious how the site will run with the new Edge Browser and with 10 also! Is anyone here going to be upgrading? The OS is a free upgrade for anyone with Windows 7 or 8.1 (I am running 8.1) for one year (July 29th 2015-16). What I have seen it is the best of these two OSs with the start menu and performance. And the Live Tiles are nice too! What is everyone else's thoughts?
coulonnus
active poster

Re: Windows 10

Post by coulonnus »

I am somewhat frightened by this upgrade. Sometimes new versions of applications loose useful features and acquire nasty ones :| And will it be necessary to reinstall all my applications, printer drivers etc? Will my personal settings be reset to factory status? This could gobble a lot of time!

And is there a drawback to remain with Window 8? Will it still update automatically?
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

I just upgraded two days ago on my computer (I had to use the media installation tool program actually because the windows auto update that I reserved my update wouldn't provide me with the update on launch day, they are making people wait on upgrading since Microsoft is releasing this upgrade in waves (to some computers at a time to not overload their servers). It took about 45 minutes to upgrade the computer (I have pretty beastly hardware in my desktop 8) . All of your worries about compatibility issues with windows 10 from 8.1 so far I have had very few issues to none :D , although I am still have an issue with my wireless adapter that carried over to 10 from 8.1 that I had to disable and use my Ethernet chord (which my connection speed is once again fast for me, I think the adapter is faulty for some reason) because it was conflicting with the Ethernet plugin I had at the same time :x .

Anyway about applications, I have had no compatibility issues :D from windows 8.1 , which is fantastic since you don't have to reinstall anything! Control Panel for example has stayed mostly the same, one thing is they moved windows update out of this windows in the new "Settings" application built for windows 10 (its on the start menu. The thing about resetting you computer to factory default is if you choose to keep "nothing" on the hard disk. The other option you want is "keep personal files and settings" (this was the same when I first upgraded from windows 7 to 8 at the time) and everything (drivers, applications, settings) all carry over (with no issues for me). One application that does not carry over is Windows Media Center, which I never used, and is uninstalled in Windows 10.

Believe me it is definitely worth the upgrade, far better than 8 and more stable in a lot of ways. Performance wise it has gone up over 8 a little more, which is great! The start menu brings back the windows 7 feel a little bit and the live tiles from windows 8, which are nice in my opinion in the same menu but is built way better for desktops and laptops now. Supposedly according to microsoft, this ''is'' there last major OS upgrade they will ever do (for now but you never know microsoft could change this :roll:). The only issue if you have a data cap is that the updates on 10 you can't ignore anymore like you could with windows 8 and before, they are forcing the updates on you. if you have the "Pro" version, you can "defer" updates for once a month by the looks of it but the computer will have to update. You can supposedly hide certain updates for compatibility issues but I haven't dived into this yet because I haven't had any problems to look at this yet.

Cortana is also a nice searching feature, better than window's 8 search menu, which was total crap and would glitch out on me all the time when I wanted to search for something simple like disk management. Back to the start menu, if you want to make the start menu more like windows 7, you have to pin like "control panel" for example as a live tile and bring it to the top of the menu. You can also resize the menu, which is also very cool, which you could not do with 7. To add on to this, you can add a "Tablet" mode feature for the start menu if you missed the windows 8 start menu, which I don't personally miss.

Overall you will have to get use to where things are on the computer (I am typing this on windows 10) just like windows 8 (or 7 before it). But some of the familiarity features from past versions are back, which is nice. The functionality and organization is the biggest improvement that I have seen on the OS. Everything is much faster in a lot of ways for me (but it depends on your hardware).
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

"Sallen112"]The thing about resetting you computer to factory default is if you choose to keep "nothing" on the hard disk.
Thanks for your extensive reply. Are there any other question windows requiring to be answered with care in the update procedure?

And is cmd.exe, the command prompt - I don't call it DOS - still available?
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

coulonnus wrote:
"Sallen112"]The thing about resetting you computer to factory default is if you choose to keep "nothing" on the hard disk.
Thanks for your extensive reply. Are there any other question windows requiring to be answered with care in the update procedure?

And is cmd.exe, the command prompt - I don't call it DOS - still available?
I guess one other thing I didn't mention is at the beginning if you download the installation media (not the upgrade through windows update) from microsoft, you can create a usb or dvd reinstall media/system repair disk.

I did lie a little about the compatibility issues actually. My main computer that I upgraded to when I got to the windows 10 UI is I had no access to my NVIDIA graphics card settings, finding out that windows update was trying to download the latest driver for my graphics card (its a newer graphics card). It failed a couple times but after trying to reinstall once and trying to download the update again, it worked that time and I had access to the graphics card settings. So there are some small quirks in compatibility or issues on the update but besides the wireless adapter and that graphics card issue, I had really no problems (there are one or two little more minor issues but they aren't really important).
JKNYSOHO

Re: Windows 10 and page reduction problems

Post by JKNYSOHO »

Greetings.....

Upgraded to Windows 10 and now anything I download is severely reduced. Is there a setting I can change somewhere? Fit to print option only makes it so much larger that it pages cross over into other pages.

I spoke with a colleague who said the same thing was happening to him, so he went back to his previous windows version..

Any new ideas on this?

JKNYSOHO
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

What do you mean by the download is severely reduced? Like the page size is too big? Are you talking about this related to an internet browser? You need to point us to where this is a problem with. For myself I have had very few problems with Windows 10 so far.