Sorabji Prelude Interlude Fugue Recording

Requests for works who died less than 50 years ago and were first published more than 95 years ago.

Moderators: Carolus, Sallen112, cypressdome, Copyright Reviewers

PlagalSounds
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Sorabji Prelude Interlude Fugue Recording

Post by PlagalSounds »

I've been referred to here by DbMiller to create a forum post to upload recordings that are PD-US. I have an original recording of Sorabji's Prelude from his Prelude, Interlude and Fugue KSS-25. The piece was first published in 1924, making it so that it is no longer under copyright and in public domain in the United States. May I upload a recording of it?

Thank you,
PlagalSounds
Sallen112
active poster

Re: Sorabji Prelude Interlude Fugue Recording

Post by Sallen112 »

Hello there,

Since the piece was first published in 1924, any recordings of this piece (had to be recorded that year, any recordings released later will be protected though) that will not be entering the Public Domain until 2025 at the earliest because under the USA's CLASSIC Act of 2018, recordings do not expire from this period for 100 years until the end of the calendar year (2025).
PlagalSounds

Post by PlagalSounds »

Does that mean I can't upload my own playing until 2025?
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

You can upload your own recording on the USA Server as long as we have your permission to do so.
DBMiller
active poster

Post by DBMiller »

You can go ahead and upload any original recording of a piece which is PD-US, but you must upload it to IMSLP-US, as per the instructions I've sent in the past.