Malaguena from Andalucia Suite by Ernesto Lecuona

Moderator: kcleung

Rogerg
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Malaguena from Andalucia Suite by Ernesto Lecuona

Post by Rogerg »

I am aware of only one edition of this piano work probably because it is still under copyright. There is at least one definite errata in the score (page 2, line 2, ms.2 should have a sharp sign before the E) but I am suspicious of other notes and wonder if there could be more errata.

Does anyone know of any publication listing errata in this score?
jossuk
active poster

Re: Malaguena from Andalucia Suite by Ernesto Lecuona

Post by jossuk »

You might like to listen to this YouTube recording, with the composer at the piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuQQxZ7TXaY
Rogerg
regular poster

Post by Rogerg »

Thanks for the suggestion but that link is to another pianist playing the piece. Here is the link to the composer playing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ksNyyuViQ

It seems to confirm my suspicion of an erratum at page 3, line 3, ms.1. The score shows G# as the last left hand note but he plays A. This is consistent with the harmony when the same melodic phrase is repeated an octave higher, then again 2 octaves higher. The score shows A both times.

It sounds OK when G# is played because the right hand is playing G# so it's not a very noticable erratum. So now the question becomes: Is the score actually correct but he just hit a wrong note in performance? I'll go with the score being incorrect. :)
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

My apology for the mis-clicked YouTube performance. I had actually listened to the posting of Lecuona''s performance you mention (I remember reading the comment about how nice it was to hear the composer playing), but then grabbed the wrong link after all. I definitely agree with your analysis of the errant notes you spotted in the score.