It's cheaper...but I bet you'll notice...

Moderator: kcleung

SanFranciscoBayAlien

It's cheaper...but I bet you'll notice...

Post by SanFranciscoBayAlien »

Can anyone here tell the difference between live recorde orcestrated music and music orcestraded from an audio editing software like ProTools? I know I can get away with using Public Licensed classical music as long as I can come up with my own recording (like for my Dvorak fantasias), but since the tolls to "create" the music digitally rather than hire an orcestra as well as rent out the equipment, proper studio, etc...I'm rather inclined to do it that way, but I'm afraid that there's going to be loss of quality from the process (I'd still feel that way if I actually did know how to use ProTools with midisynths)...I once had a deal with a community college's youth orcestra's program that I could use a recording of their own, but I'd still have to wait for them to learn the piece (for the first time; at that), and I'd still have to get a proper recording hall and equipment...either way I could potentially be ruined choosing any method because of my lack of knowledge about both methods, but I could at least keep working on the digital part until I got it right and there won't be any time/budget restraints...Which do you think I should go for?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Do you mean something like Garritan Personal Orchestra?
SanFranciscoBayAlien

Post by SanFranciscoBayAlien »

Yeah, except since the school has no finale, I'd only see/edit the sound waves/files themselves. So I'd be inputting the music from a keyboard like one inputs dialouge in a microphone, and then hopefully I'll be able to edit everything I record in whatever I recorded it into (I think the mac labs also have garage band, logic, and some other weird audio programms...
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

You don't have to use Finale. GPO works with Sibelius or cubase type software.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

I understand that the program Notion is making some real headway in this area. Apparently, there are a number of traveling Broadway shows using the software - which is completely tempo-controlled by a performer using an electronic keyboard - as a virtual backup orchestra for live performances, filling in for unavailable players when on tour.