Gottlieb Muffat's "Componimenti Musicali"

Moderator: kcleung

demars
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Gottlieb Muffat's "Componimenti Musicali"

Post by demars »

Under the title "Handel, Supplement 5" is hidden a magnificent treasure, Gottlieb Muffat's "Componimenti Musicali" for the harpsichord, containing six suites and a Ciacona (cf. Denkmäler der Tonkunst in Österreich, Jahrgang III/3, Band 7). These pieces can be found on a gorgeous double disc (Glossa, 2009) that have just been recorded by Mitzi Meyerson. The reason why they figure in" Supplement 5" is that Handel borrowed theses compositions 16 times (see Meyerson's booklet p. 14).

It would be fine to have links or references "Muffat Gottlieb - Componimenti Musicali – see Handel, Supplement 5" under the rubrics "Composer", "Period", "Genre".

Best regards,

demars
allegroamabile
active poster

Re: Gottlieb Muffat's "Componimenti Musicali"

Post by allegroamabile »

spam?
SeanMartin
forum adept

Post by SeanMartin »

I dont think so, no. He's saying that references within a work should be part of the search engine. It's not like he's selling sub-prime mortgages. :)
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

Let's not take this too far. Otherwise we'd have cross-references to Lehar's Merry Widow and Wagner's Meistersinger in the listing of Mahler's 7th Symphony (specifically, the last movement). And heaven help the person who has to put in the cross references when the bulk of Charles Ives' works go PD, not to mention the urtext critical editions of PDQ Bach.

--Sixtus
Deinonychus
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Deinonychus »

Or Bernd Alois Zimmermann
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

sbeckmesser wrote:urtext critical editions of PDQ Bach.
There are urtext editions of PDQ Bach?!?!?! :lol:
jpuelopez

Post by jpuelopez »

I bought a copy of these 'Componimenti' in sheet music years ago, because one of my hobbies is collecting sheet music and/or recordings from not very Known baroque and classical composers. This activity has helped me to discover very interesting musicians like Jan Dismas Zelenka (my last great finding) for instance, or Gottlieb Muffat, whom we are now speaking about. I've played myself all of Muffat's pieces, and I considerer them as good or nearly so as similar ones by J.S. Bach, Händel, Couperin or Rameau. I also own a recording of the 'Componimenti Musicali' (I don't remember the player now). I got it through 'emusic.com', but I don't like this version very much.