Bassoon Pieces Suggestion?

Moderator: kcleung

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Bassoon Pieces Suggestion?

Post by steltz »

Just thought of something else. A lot of bassoonists play cello music, and there is a Franz Xaver Neruda (1843-1915), who wrote quite a lot for cello, and his mazurkas might make a nice Romantic addition to your recital (and IMSLP has some of them). By the way this is not the same Neruda as the Baroque bassoon concerto guy -- that was Johann Neruda (1708-1780). Another source of music from cello is Benedetto Marcello (1686-1739), and IMSLP does have some of those cello sonatas, but I don't know if the bass is realized.

Of non-PD music, I don't know about your high range, but the Tansman Sonatina is a favorite of mine. On short notice, might not be good (still, get a recording, it's really great).

More Baroque or Galant: Telemann wrote a great Sonata in f minor. IMSLP doesn't have it, but it's a good addition to your repertoire.
Besozzi, Sonata -- Boismortier, Sonata -- Fasch, Sonata (IMSLP doesn't have these either).

Lastly, Pierne, Solo de Concert, quite difficult, might have been one of the Paris Conservatoire Concours pieces, but well worth learning! (IMSLP doesn't have this either, unfortunately, but Pierne is PD now.
bsteltz
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

Hey, what about the Kodaly Sonata for Cello Solo on bassoon?
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

And in today's batch of uploads, someone uploaded Gliere's Impromptu, op.35 no.9 for bsn and piano (only about 3 minutes long, but might be a nice Romantic addition).
bsteltz
Notnd

Post by Notnd »

steltz wrote:Just thought of something else. A lot of bassoonists play cello music, and there is a Franz Xaver Neruda (1843-1915), who wrote quite a lot for cello, and his mazurkas might make a nice Romantic addition to your recital (and IMSLP has some of them). By the way this is not the same Neruda as the Baroque bassoon concerto guy -- that was Johann Neruda (1708-1780). Another source of music from cello is Benedetto Marcello (1686-1739), and IMSLP does have some of those cello sonatas, but I don't know if the bass is realized.

Of non-PD music, I don't know about your high range, but the Tansman Sonatina is a favorite of mine. On short notice, might not be good (still, get a recording, it's really great).

More Baroque or Galant: Telemann wrote a great Sonata in f minor. IMSLP doesn't have it, but it's a good addition to your repertoire.
Besozzi, Sonata -- Boismortier, Sonata -- Fasch, Sonata (IMSLP doesn't have these either).

Lastly, Pierne, Solo de Concert, quite difficult, might have been one of the Paris Conservatoire Concours pieces, but well worth learning! (IMSLP doesn't have this either, unfortunately, but Pierne is PD now.
Thanks!I can handle all of this pieces. (More Time Would Be Better :) )
I used to be perfect...Now I'm even better!
Deinonychus
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Deinonychus »

If you have another bassoonist, Stravinsky wrote an untitled piece for 2 bassosns. Its early, so might be PD in the USA, although I've no idea if or when it was published. Its also extremely short - if my memory form the one time I've heard it serves me right less than a minute long.
tickle88
regular poster

Post by tickle88 »

Sorry, Notnd, for being too coy. The BSO is the Boston Symphony Orchestra (neither little nor local, in the limiting sense).