Moderator: kcleung

AlexBFreb
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Rachmaninoff Concerto No. 4

Post by AlexBFreb »

Hi, everyone!!!
I'm Alex.
I'm currently studying the fourth Rachmaninoff piano concerto...the piano part...as opposed to the orchestra part...and I am done the first and second movement...and the third movement is underway of being memorized...
Is anyone familiar with this piece?
Can anyone please help me with fingering?
Does anyone know a website where I could perhaps purchase a recording of the orchestral part alone?
Also, if you have any information about the piece, whatsoever, please post something. :-)
Thanks to all!!!
Alex
HonkyTonk
regular poster

Post by HonkyTonk »

Hello Alex. This is my first contribution to the forum.
The first recording of the Rachmaninov fourth I owned was by Leonard Pennario and Andre Previn. Previn used a score which included some of the composer's own additions to the orchestrations which are not in the published score.
As for your fingering problem - you really need to work out a set which is comfortable for you or seek the help of a good teacher. Anything given on a forum is unlikely to be of much use.
As for the Music minus one recordings, I don't know of any for this piece . I used one of these records just once - the Mozart k466 - and wouldn't bother again. Your playing has to be far too rigid in order to synchronize with the recording. The thought of trying to play a Rachmaninov concerto with such a device is quite alarming!
AlexBFreb

Post by AlexBFreb »

Yes. I see. I am actually looking for a teacher who can teach it to me...my current teacher actually told me that i should get a temporary teacher to do this piece with...being that i'm sixteen it's difficult to get transportation all the time. If anyone knows of any pianists who have done this concerto in the greater philadelphia area, please post!