which kind of music did Mozart not composed?

Moderator: kcleung

am_battery
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

which kind of music did Mozart not composed?

Post by am_battery »

I could not give the answer.almost every kind music mozart had composed: symphony,opera,cantata,concerto,solo sonata,etc..
steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: which kind of music did Mozart not composed?

Post by steltz »

Ballet?
bsteltz
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Ahem, Steltz... Les petit riens (for Paris!)

And obviously Mozart didn’t compose any thrash metal, a notable oversight in his œuvre. :-/
--
PML (talk)
BKhon

Post by BKhon »

@PML, ha-ha. Or any other type of metal for that matter.

I would look at genres of classical music that were not yet developed when Mozart died. In terms of development already... developed...Studies (etudes, caprices)
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

am_battery wrote:I could not give the answer.almost every kind music mozart had composed: symphony,opera,cantata,concerto,solo sonata,etc..
A capella vocal?
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

God is our refuge, composed when WAM was nine or so...

etc, etc.

PML ;-)
--
PML (talk)
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

Never mind then.
Concertante cello comes to mind.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

Obviously he didn't write a lot of concertos for specific instruments -- trombone, cello, viola, double bass, solo harp, alphorn (his father did though!), but concertos as a whole he did.

He of course didn't compose anything for combinations that hadn't been invented yet (wind quintet, etc) or just whatever random combinations you can think of, or genres that hadn't been (symphonic poem).

He also is missing some earlier forms, like concerto grosso.

But I can't think of any forms that in his time would have been appropriate that he didn't use.
Last edited by Melodia on Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

pml wrote:Ahem, Steltz... Les petit riens (for Paris!)
Woops . . . . :oops:
bsteltz
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

Melodia wrote: He of course didn't composer anything for things that hadn't been invented yet (wind quintet, etc)
Yes, but there is a triskadectet...
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Melodia wrote:Obviously he didn't write a lot of concertos for specific instruments -- trombone, cello, viola, double bass, solo harp, alphorn (his father did though!), but concertos as a whole he did.
My emphasis, but this isn’t a serious omission when you consider he did write one for flute and harp, and very few composers treated the harp as a concertante instrument at all. (There were rather sexist reasons behind this, primarily that aside from a few virtuoso executants, the harp was viewed as an instrument for women.)

Again there is no solo concerto for viola, but there is the remarkable Sinfonia concertante for violin and viola.
He of course didn't compose anything for combinations that hadn't been invented yet (wind quintet, etc) or just whatever random combinations you can think of, or genres that hadn't been (symphonic poem).

He also is missing some earlier forms, like concerto grosso.

But I can't think of any forms that in his time would have been appropriate that he didn't use.
Nor can one think of a genre in existence at the time to which his talents wouldn’t have been suited to (unlike other prolific and precocious composers before and since). PML
--
PML (talk)
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

pml wrote: My emphasis, but this isn’t a serious omission when you consider he did write one for flute and harp, and very few composers treated the harp as a concertante instrument at all. (There were rather sexist reasons behind this, primarily that aside from a few virtuoso executants, the harp was viewed as an instrument for women.)
That's why I put solo harp. And certainly there were classical period harp concerti -- Dietersdorff and Bouliedeu for instance (and I know I spelled those two names wrong). One reason why it got less 'love' was more of it's technical incapabilities than anything, I'm sure.
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

perlnerd666 wrote:Never mind then.
Is there any Mozart piece with an orchestra where there is an obbligato cello line? There are Haydn symphony movements that have this, but I can't think of any by Mozart. As for a obbligato viola line, fuggeddaboutit.

--Sixtus
reiner torheit

Post by reiner torheit »

sbeckmesser wrote:
perlnerd666 wrote:Never mind then.
Is there any Mozart piece with an orchestra where there is an obbligato cello line? There are Haydn symphony movements that have this, but I can't think of any by Mozart. As for a obbligato viola line, fuggeddaboutit.

--Sixtus
I can think of at least one :) Constanze's spectacular aria "Martern aller Arten" (it's music cue 11, btw) in DIE ENTFUHRUNG AUS DEM SERAIL has a group of obbligato instruments in it - of which the cello is one (I just checked to make sure I remembered correctly) :)