John Loeillet Cello Sonata G Minor

Moderator: kcleung

maurice quinn
notabot: 42
notabot2: Bot

John Loeillet Cello Sonata G Minor

Post by maurice quinn »

The above work is a pirated version of a recorder sonata in C Minor Opera Terza by Jean-Baptiste Loeillet de Gand; John Loeillet had republished these sonatas under his own name after the early death of his younger cousin.
maurice alan quinn
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: John Loeillet Cello Sonata G Minor

Post by maurice alan quinn »

I obtained the six sonatas Op3 (Nos 2,3,4,5,6 and 10) in the Schott (Mainz) edited by P. Fr. Scherber/A.Kutz prints of 1949; all attributed to J. (John of London) B. Loeillet (1680/1730) back in 1957. Sonata No5 (c-moll) was already known to me in a recording (Decca) of the Largo and Menuetto (Poco Allegro) by my two esteemed Haslemere mentors Carl Dolmetsch and Joseph Saxby. C. F. D's cover-notes acknowledged the first-class quality of the music, but at the time of recording he was unaware of the attribution of the work to the wrong Loeillet. Several years later Paul Friedrich Scherber made a revision of the Schott publication correcting the composer and app. birth/death details BUT - substituted his original source to Walsh & Hare (London) which correctly attributed the works to Jean-Baptiste Loeillet de Gant (1688-1720) and provided bar-numbering. He made no reference to the original missattribution.
The Cello Sonata G Minor as uploaded onto imslp is an arrangement of Flute Sonata V Opera Terza. The quality of the music of both versions does not necessarily warrant the deletion of the dubious arrangement for cello and piano. It does, however reinforces my desire to have the earlier three "Opera"s of Loeillet de Gant's uploaded onto imslp especiallt Opera Terza.