Best complete Beethoven sonata cycle

Moderator: kcleung

prustage
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Best complete Beethoven sonata cycle

Post by prustage »

I grew up listening to Brendel's version of most of the sonatas (Vox/Turnabout) and still think this and his later Philips recordings are the benchmark by which others should be judged. My first complete cycle was the first Barenboim which I still rate very highly - but certain sonatas, usually the better known ones - are taken at very idiosyncratic speeds and some might find this irritating (the first movement of "Moonlight" is extremely slow). With the move to CD I acquired the Buchbinder cycle on Telefunken - good but a bit lacking in gravitas where needed. Now my main reference is the 1967 Gulda version - originally on Decca this is now available on Brilliant at a bargain price. I find little to fault here, and it seems to be the only cycle apart from Brendel that is universally admired. There is immense life and energy in these performances and I couldnt live without any of them - except the opening of the Waldstein which , for me, he takes way to fast. Apart from that one point though this is for me the perfect cycle. The recording quality is also excellent. This site http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2009/05/bee ... te_24.html lists all the currently available cycles and also rates the Gulda very highly.
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

I vote for Alfred Brendel. I've heard lots of different interpreters of Beethoven piano sonatas, and his is the set I keep coming back to.

AJ
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
heatherreichgott
regular poster

Post by heatherreichgott »

I just have to recommend my former teacher Peter Takacs' complete set of the Beethoven sonatas which came out very recently. Takacs (professor of piano at Oberlin Conservatory) has focused on Beethoven for most of his career and this is the result.
worov
forum adept

Post by worov »

Claudio Arrau's set (the one from the 1960's for Philips) is definitely my favourite.
heatherreichgott
regular poster

Post by heatherreichgott »

a little more about the Takacs cycle

http://new.oberlin.edu/home/news-media/ ... id=3863268
klyde4parliament

Post by klyde4parliament »

I realize I posted this years ago, and I in no means want to cut off the discussion since it is still quite interesting, but for those are interested I have made my decision and Goode it is! That is not to say I find this recording particularly transcendental or exceptional (I still have the Schnabel after all), but there are some truly beautiful recordings here (Op. 101, 109, 10) and the quality of the sound is crystal clear. I have taken your suggestions however and listened to a lot of the others and have some great recordings by Barenboim (love his late sonatas too), Gilels, Richter (love his Appassionata), even Gould (there are some diamonds in the considerable rough). Thanks for your input!