Submit music to IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

hlszakal
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Submit music to IMSLP

Post by hlszakal »

I am a newbie and writing this on behalf of our family's music teacher since she has little/no access to the internet. Ms. K has inherited boxes of old music on paper that she will like to donate to the IMSLP. Ms K says that the music will be invaluable to the project. Given that she does not have a scanner or Internet, can someone provide guidance on how she will be able to do this?
NLewis
active poster

Re: Submit music to IMSLP

Post by NLewis »

Ooh, we are very much looking forward to the submissions! Do you happen to know any of the pieces (/editions)?

There are four ways that I can think of that are the most practical:

1). Is there a local library that would - perhaps - have a scanner? If so, that would be a reasonable approach to scanning the music, and submitting it to IMSLP (provided the library also has internet access).

2). Perhaps a friend has internet access and a scanner? I would ask around to see, and maybe they would be willing to let Mrs. K (or a trusty friend of hers interested in scanning the music) scan it there.

3). Mail the music to someone who does have internet access (perhaps a relative) and ask them if they could scan it and submit it. Although, socially, it's probably too much to ask a person.

4). I'm sure that a local school / college has a scanner and internet access. A realistic option would be to scan them at school and upload through IMSLP (though, shockingly, some schools are blocking the site!).

Hopefully those ideas help, but they are just a few suggestions. We'll wait to see if anyone else has any ideas.
reynard61

Post by reynard61 »

I have a somewhat related question. A while ago I created a score for Berlioz's arrangement of Rouget de Lisle's "La Marseillaise" in Finale PrintMusic. (Based primarily on the Kalmus version.) I tried to make it as accurate as possible within the limitations of the software and my own limited knowledge, but I basically just wanted a score to read while I was listening to a particular version of the piece. (The Entremont/Denver Symphony version, Pro-Arte CDD 410) Would it be okay to post this version, or should I submit it here first for criticism?
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Other ardent Berliozians here have done similar, using the Malherbe and Weingartner editions (as reprinted variously by Dover and Kalmus) as starting points for their own work. One thing you should do however, is re-order the staves to Berlioz’s preferred groupings, which have the horns at the top of the brass section, rather than following the Wagnerian practice for horns to be wedged between clarinets and bassoons amongst the winds. I also have some doubt in the value of retaining other of their editorialisms, such as the additional English and German trilingual text underlays, but otherwise their work is still somewhat useful over a century later. Post away!

Cheers, Philip
--
PML (talk)
reynard61

Post by reynard61 »

pml wrote:Other ardent Berliozians here have done similar, using the Malherbe and Weingartner editions (as reprinted variously by Dover and Kalmus) as starting points for their own work. One thing you should do however, is re-order the staves to Berlioz’s preferred groupings, which have the horns at the top of the brass section, rather than following the Wagnerian practice for horns to be wedged between clarinets and bassoons amongst the winds. I also have some doubt in the value of retaining other of their editorialisms, such as the additional English and German trilingual text underlays, but otherwise their work is still somewhat useful over a century later. Post away!

Cheers, Philip
My score is laid out as follows:

Clarinets in Bb
Bassoons
-
Trumpets á pistons in Eb
Trumpets in F
Trumpets in Bb
Horns in F
Horns in Bb
Trombones
Ophicleides
-
Timpani in F/E
Timpani in Eb/D
Timpani in C/Bb
Bass Drum
-
Soprano(s) (Childrens Choir on the same stave.)
Alto(s)
Tenor(s)
Bass(es)
-
I Violins
II Violins
Viola
Cello
Contrabass

The text is in French, but annotations are in English. If you'd like I could send you the .pdf to preview.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

M. Reynard, feel free to post it to the Wiki where anyone can obtain it. If you have revisions to make subsequently you can always upload a new version of the score to replace the old.

As I said before, Berlioz normally puts the horns above the trumpets even if they are lower in pitch in the brass choir than the trumpets. I should have been clearer about the question of language: using English translations for the annotations is less preferable than French/English, since often these are Berlioz’s own directions and footnotes, he being quite punctilious to document the minutest instructions to performers (as a result I tend to leave everything in French in my Berlioz editions).

The major difference I can see is the chorus – Berlioz doesn’t usually write for the altos, and this isn’t the case here; choir 1 is a male chorus (just TB) and choir 2 is an example of Berlioz’s standard three-part mixed choir, STB. The practice of having a childrens’ chorus sing one of the verses isn’t attested to by the score - it’s one of those performing “traditions” that often lack authority!
--
PML (talk)
reynard61

Post by reynard61 »

pml wrote:M. Reynard, feel free to post it to the Wiki where anyone can obtain it. If you have revisions to make subsequently you can always upload a new version of the score to replace the old.
Okay.
As I said before, Berlioz normally puts the horns above the trumpets even if they are lower in pitch in the brass choir than the trumpets. I should have been clearer about the question of language: using English translations for the annotations is less preferable than French/English, since often these are Berlioz’s own directions and footnotes, he being quite punctilious to document the minutest instructions to performers (as a result I tend to leave everything in French in my Berlioz editions).

The major difference I can see is the chorus – Berlioz doesn’t usually write for the altos, and this isn’t the case here; choir 1 is a male chorus (just TB) and choir 2 is an example of Berlioz’s standard three-part mixed choir, STB. The practice of having a childrens’ chorus sing one of the verses isn’t attested to by the score - it’s one of those performing “traditions” that often lack authority!
Well, as I stated in my original post, this score was specifically created so that I could read through it while listening to a particular version. While Berlioz is definitely my favorite composer, I'm no musicologist and, as I said, I had to work both within the limitations of both the software and my own musical knowledge. I chose the score's layout because that's how I'm used to reading them, and I chose the chorus layout because it was closest to how the Kalmus score (such as it is -- the plates are in pretty bad shape and it's nearly unreadable, hence the reason I created mine) is laid out. I suppose I shall simply have to note these facts when I post the score. Thanks!