Easy Pieces for Violin and Piano

Moderator: kcleung

NLewis
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Easy Pieces for Violin and Piano

Post by NLewis »

Does anyone have any suggestions for some pieces for violin and piano? I'm looking more in the realm of obscure repertoire, which is easy / medium in difficulty. Thanks for any suggestions you might have. Ah, yes, and please let it be public domain worldwide ;)
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Easy Pieces for Violin and Piano

Post by KGill »

Zsolt's Elegie looks pretty easy.
Bridge's 4 Short Pieces is quite easy - at least the first three should be sight-readable for an early intermediate player.
Renard's Berceuse No.2 looks to be another one - one could play it without leaving first position.
József Bloch's Aquarelle No.1 also looks quite simple.
Apart from the Bridge (which I already knew, as you might have figured out from the fact that I provided IMSLP's scan of it), these were all found by simply picking random, easy-sounding piece names out of the category walker :)
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

There's lots of Baroque music for violin that doesn't leave 1st position, or at worst requires only a stretch of the 4th finger to C on the E string. These can be very simple pieces, especially if you leave out any ornamentation. But often you'll find such pieces as single dance-like movements within a sonata or other such piece containing other movements that are more difficult. Look though the violin sonatas of all the Baroque greats, such as Handel, Telemann, Leclair, Vivaldi and even Corelli. On the other hand almost all of Bach's violin music gets difficult even while remaining in 1st position, the famous solo Sonatas and Partitas being the prime example.

--Sixtus
NLewis
active poster

Post by NLewis »

The solo violin sonatas and partitas are fairly difficult, especially the 3rd sonata. The fugue is fairly difficult. At some point I'll record the 6, but I'm looking for very easy repertoire for violin and piano right now.

Thanks for the suggestions. Very helpful. I'll look through the composers you mentioned and see if anything works.
Gambit21

Post by Gambit21 »

Does anyone know of any duets for violin and piano, both "easy"? I know of tons of violin duets, violin/viola duets and easy violin works with piano accompaniment (usually not "easy"), but not anything specifically for two children to play together, violin and piano.

Your help appreciated..
Last edited by Gambit21 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
WilliamBunting
forum adept

Post by WilliamBunting »

Hello Gambit21

The easy piece writers who are out of copyright such as Dancla and Wohlfahrt don't have a lot to offer on IMSLP. However you could try Dancla's Petite Ecole de la Melodie. Also I have just uploaded Moffat's Alte Meister. Moffat died in 1950, so please watch your PD rules. One great composer of educational violin pieces from 1900-1930 (e.g. Fiddle Fancies) Adam Carse, died in 1958, so we'll have to wait a few years for them on this site. Another way to look for pieces is search on "facile" "faciles" "leicht" or "leichte" on this site. A few old favorites such as Mendelssohn's Spring Song, buried in the Lieder Ohne Woerter but reachable by a keyword search, are worth a look.

Regards
WilliamBunting