Other libraries' scanning projects...

Moderator: kcleung

Eric
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Other libraries' scanning projects...

Post by Eric »

Noticed that the Czech National Library in Prague has announced (did announce, in 2010) a long-term project with Google to scan a lot of their archives of various kinds. (I think they could have chosen a better partner than Google in some ways, but I can see the advantages from their point of view.) What I only noticed just now (link http://www.nkp.cz/files/tz_ndk_google_en.pdf here) was that a large amount of (18th century and before) music will be part of this project. Hopefully later music too, as Czech music early and late I think I can say (without having a "personal" stake in the matter except for enjoying so much music by composers associated with the region) is a major part of European history and should (also) be preserved (along with the excellent projects already underway in other countries - LOC, BNF, etc. :) )
Peterdyson49
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Other libraries' scanning projects...

Post by Peterdyson49 »

This also sounds like an interesting project... if the bit I have underlined means they are going to scan the contents rather than just create a catalogue!
the link is in Russian only but I included a "google" translation!!!
http://www.philharmonia.spb.ru/rus/library.php

Peter Dyson

Music Library
St. Petersburg Philharmonic
them. SHOSTAKOVICH

Music Library of St. Petersburg Philharmonic - one of the oldest music collections in Russia. The history of the library dates back to 1882, with the inception of the Court Orchestra of Emperor Alexander III. In 1921 it was decided on the basis of the former Court Orchestra to create the first Soviet Philharmonic. By the time the Philharmonic library consisted of 50 000 publications symphonic, chamber, vocal and instrumental music. Library Philharmonic now has about 150 thousand units. The main fund is: music, books about music, unique photos, music periodicals, as well as a collection of posters and concert programs the Greater and Lesser Halls in 1921, which reflects the entire musical life Philharmonic. More than half the fund is pre-revolutionary editions. Among the most important values ​​is the music library autographed Dzh.Filda, J. Strauss, Tchaikovsky, Mahler, A. Schoenberg, Shostakovich, S. Slonimsky, Mravinsky, SW . Temirkanov. The library also holds a large collection of autographed photographs of great musicians: B. Walter, G. Knappersbusha, G. Abendrot, H. Karajan, Richter, Rostropovich, Yehudi Menuhin, M. Jansons and others exhibit a unique library - so called the "Golden Book", which since the mid 20-ies, collected reviews of the great musicians of the Philharmonic and the orchestra, led by Yuri Temirkanov today. The "Golden Book" have left their record composers Glazunov, Prokofiev, Honegger, Penderecki, musicians, Horowitz, Heifetz, Menuhin, Richter, Sir Georg Solti, Rozhdestvensky, Rostropovich, Vishnevskaya, Sokolov, Virsaladze. Pride Library - a collection of programs and file philharmonic "Filarmoniana", which reflects the entire musical life Philharmonic, beginning c 1921. Currently, the Philharmonic Music Library acquired a basic set of modules specialized program "IRBIS-64", which will create an electronic version of the general catalog, and in the future, with the additional equipment of this system will allow interaction with other libraries in the country and around the world. We expect to make the library available in electronic form for professionals, students, and all music lovers.[/b] In March 2008, the Philharmonic Music Library received a grant from the U.S. company in the form of EMC hardware and software for creating an electronic catalog "Filarmoniana." In 2009, the Committee for Culture of St. Petersburg has decided to allocate funds to cover the costs associated with creating an electronic catalog of unique archive library. Today the library has acquired Philharmonic new friends who are willing to support and help in her new endeavors - is "RosElektroPromHolding" in the person of President G. Lokotkov and JSC "Sevcable" President G. Makarov.