Giovanni Allevi

Moderator: kcleung

donbarrrejo
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Giovanni Allevi

Post by donbarrrejo »

Hi, I'm Italian as Giovanni Allevi and I am curious to know how the opinion about him is out of Italy.

As a composer, and as a pianist.

I have my opinion about him but I don't know if it is too influenced from italian media and from the opinion of the italian critics, so I think that non-italian musician can be more objective about him
Choralia
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Giovanni Allevi

Post by Choralia »

The total silence after more that one week sounds quite loud.

If we compare the results of a google search with pages in Italian and in English using "Giovanni Allevi" composer or "Giovanni Allevi" compositore, we find around 111,000 results in Italian, and 14,900 in English. The same search, using Giuseppe Verdi in lieu of Giovanni Allevi, provides 256,000 results in Italian and 1,350,000 results in English. If we assume that the popularity of Verdi is the same in Italy and outside Italy, we have that the popularity of Giovanni Allevi in Italy is 40 times larger than it is outside Italy. If everybody knew Allevi in Italy, only 2.5% of the people would know him outside Italy. It's a very rough evaluation, however this may justify that most users of these forums may have never heard about him.

Furthermore, Allevi's music appears designed to primarily appeal non-musicians. As these forums are mostly used by musicians, Allevi's music might not be interesting enough for them to even formulate an opinion about him, either as a composer or as a pianist. So, even though some users may know about him, they may have no opinion to tell here.

So, overall, I'm not much surprised that nobody has replied so far.

Max