Question about Dohnanyi's Nursery Theme Variations, op.25

Moderator: kcleung

asdf
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Question about Dohnanyi's Nursery Theme Variations, op.25

Post by asdf »

I notice that in the Stefan von Hodula arrangement, the introduction (which in the original is for the orchestra only) is arranged for two pianos. Are there any other similar changes to the piece (such as other sections arranged to be played by two pianos, instead of only one)? Can the arrangement be used to learn the piece, or should the full score be used?
jossuk
active poster

Re: Question about Dohnanyi's Nursery Theme Variations, op.2

Post by jossuk »

I have this edition of the Dohnanyi. The places where both pianos share the original orchestra music are marked "tutti". (This was done to allow a fuller exposition of the large orchestration in those places where the solo piano part is idle).The Pianoforte I part becomes the original solo piano part when it is marked "solo". (That would be most of the time).
Both pianos are "tutti" from the beginning of the piece (pg. 2) until the statement of the theme (pg. 8). From there until the bottom of pg. 35 (end of Variation 8), the upper piano part remains the original solo part. Variation 9 (pg. 36) begins with both pianos "tutti" until pg. 37, 3rd system, where the upper piano part becomes "solo" again. The last "tutti" occurs on pg. 52, and continues until the bottom of pg. 53, where the "solo" part returns. From there to the end of the piece, Piano 1 remains the original solo part.

Bottom line: you can easily use this edition to learn the original solo piano part.

(Question to moderators: I had to replace a few (but not all) of the numbers with words in my post in order to avoid the sudden substitution of smiley faces. Any ideas?)
Last edited by jossuk on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
asdf

Post by asdf »

Thank you!
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

jossuk wrote:Question to moderators: I had to replace a few (but not all) of the numbers with words in my post in order to avoid the sudden substitution of smiley faces. Any ideas?
If you wish to disable the automatic recognition of smilies patterns such as 8), please tick the "Disable smilies" option available on the "Options" tab when editing (bottom part of the page).

Max
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Thank you for the tip; the 8 was indeed the culprit.
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

:)