Self-taught Barrier

Moderator: kcleung

Bachvein
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Self-taught Barrier

Post by Bachvein »

I'm 18 years old and I am a self-taught musician (guitarist). I can read music, I understand how scales and chords work, I have a general idea of harmony and very basic counterpoint, I can come up with melodies, rhythms and entire compositions.

But when I sit down and listen to some of my favorite composers (Bach, Vivaldi, Bartók, Liszt, etc.), I am - just like thousands of other people - overwhelmed by their music and compositions.

I'd like someone to tell me what I'm missing out on by having refused to take music lessons. Those composers, and many others, studied for years and wrote amazing music. Modern musicians' music consists mainly of a simple structure with plenty of repetitions (no one ever writes a Piano Sonata for their albums - because they can't). However, the above-mentioned composers wrote pieces far beyond the reach of the average musician.

To what extent, and how does being taught by someone contribute to that musical superiority?
pjones235
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Self-taught Barrier

Post by pjones235 »

Well I'm only 17 years old, and I've been playing piano for 12 years. And after that long, I have now surpassed every music teacher I've had. I can even play most orchestral instruments, most of which I taught myself. You may feel as though you're missing out on something by not having a teacher, but at the same time, that may make it even better. Every teacher is different, and no teachers will teach the same. (And since you're already of fan of Bach, you're already being taught by the greatest of teachers!) So in learning of most styles of classical music, a teacher, doesn't seem to me, all that necessary. But you can't just play by yourself in a closet and not get any input whatsoever. Based on your level of skill in music theory, you're better off having people critique your own performances, rather than having one teacher. You already know a decent amount of theory, so you won't easily find a teacher that can further your skill at an expected rate. When you reach a certain level of skill, it's better to learn from many critics that can bring to you a variety of opinions on what you should know and what would work best in a certain piece or how a certain piece should be played, et cetera. I feel as though the only way having a music teacher can be beneficial if they started you off in a young age on your first instrument... After playing for however many years, you won't easily change your way of music playing. And having one opinion to assist you won't do as much as you need. Get what I'm trying to say?