Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto no. 5

Moderator: kcleung

Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto no. 5

Post by Lyle Neff »

sbeckmesser wrote:[...] By its very nature a solo violin is incapable of creating a sonic turgidity.
Not necessarily, because that depends on how one handles the writing for the orchestra.

:mrgreen:
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

My problem with Rachmaninoff's piano concertos has always been that his typically overloaded piano writing has been plunked down smack in the middle of orchestral textures of worse-than-Schumann density (see my comments in the aforementioned cut-off thread). The result I find simply too opaque and turgid for my taste. It's no wonder that a pianist has hammer out these pieces in order to be heard. At least in a Rachmaninoff violin concerto the turgidity would be confined to the orchestra. If the violin writing is high enough and the orchestra kept where it is in the piano concerti, the fiddle would cut through no problem.

--Sixtus
dapinzonm

Re:

Post by dapinzonm »

sixhobbits wrote:In fact it has already been recorded and published. I bought my copy on Tuesday... Very good
Did you buy the copy of sheet music? where did you get it?
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Published by Boosey & Hawkes, available in the U. S. via Hal Leonard (#HL 48023238) for $46.00.
dapinzonm

Re:

Post by dapinzonm »

jossuk wrote:Published by Boosey & Hawkes, available in the U. S. via Hal Leonard (#HL 48023238) for $46.00.
jossuk wrote:Published by Boosey & Hawkes, available in the U. S. via Hal Leonard (#HL 48023238) for $46.00.
sixhobbits wrote:In fact it has already been recorded and published. I bought my copy on Tuesday... Very good
I can´t find it in the catalogue online. Do you know if it is offered for purchase online?
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Go to the Hal Leonard site: https://www.halleonard.com/
and put in the catalog number: 48023238
which will bring you to: Piano Concerto No. 5 (symphony No. 2 Arranged For Piano And Orchestra)

Note: there is no composer mentioned, which is one of the publisher's unhappy tendencies.

The page will tell you that the publisher is Boosey & Hawkes, and that Hal Leonard would have to import it for a customer in the U. S.