Standard required for computer rendition

Moderator: kcleung

Mal-2
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Standard required for computer rendition

Post by Mal-2 »

Simply put, I have questions regarding the performance standard required for a computer-rendered performance to be acceptable. I'm not talking about something produced with sound fonts and a sequencer, I mean mid- to high-end virtual instruments, Cubase, and much hand-massaging of individual parts (often down to specifying vibrato and intonation as pitch bends -- I aim for something approximating 5-limit Just Intonation when it makes sense to do so).

I have no problem offering examples of what I would like to post (along with the scores of my original arrangements, not just rendered performances): I also have renders posted for which I have not produced scores because I needed recordings, not scores. However, since I initially did them in notation software (as I almost always do), making usable scores and parts is merely tedious, not so much difficult. I won't bother if told that my recordings are not good enough to go up here, since those would be the "reference recordings".
  • Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (brass quartet, difficult but playable)
  • The Fifth Symphony of Beethoven, and the first movement of the Sixth, for 17-piece wind ensemble (not even particularly difficult).
  • The "Nimrod" Variation from Elgar's "Enigma Variations", for 13-piece wind ensemble (woodwind quartet + sax quartet + brass quartet + timpani)