Recognizing a piece by its score

Moderator: kcleung

pupv20
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Recognizing a piece by its score

Post by pupv20 »

Hello. My teacher has printed an amazing piano duet, named "in memory of gavrilin". Unfortunately, she hasn't write the name of the composer. I've tried to find the score in the internet and the only 2 things I've found are:

1. Igor Rogalev Book of marches and dances in memory of Valery Gavrilin.
2. IGOR VOROBYOV - FIVE ROMANCES AND VOCALIZE IN MEMORY OF VALERY GAVRILIN.

My score isn't one of these, so it's very frustrating. I really want to find the name of the composer, please help me..
Attachments
20151230_192743.jpg
20151230_192743.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 4736 times
jossuk
active poster

Re: Recognizing a piece by its score

Post by jossuk »

This looks to be a piece in a collection, since it begins on p. 44. Your teacher may not remember the composer, but perhaps she could remember the title of the collection...?
pupv20

Post by pupv20 »

Thanks, but she cannot remember also that. She found it on the internet and I cannot find the website with this score..It's very frustrating because I really like this piece and I want to find out who is the composer, but it seems that it cannot be found anywhere...
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Not to criticize your teacher, but she might have been following some particular internet thread before discovering this piece. Remembering even a small portion of that "journey" might help in recovering the composer's identity.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

pupv20 wrote:. She found it on the internet [...]
Is there a History feature on her browser? It helps if she approximately remembers the date of the discovery. :-)
pupv20

Post by pupv20 »

She cannot find it anywhere...I've searched even in Russian on the internet (with google translate, I don't speak Russian) and I cannot find it. The problem is that I asked her too late. She can't find it now...What do you think? Is there any way to find it by myself?
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

At least, does she remember if the site was something fixed like a library or something evolutive like a blog or a forum? If the dedicatee is Valery Gavrilin (1939-1999) the piece is copyrighted and the site administrators are in hot waters. (we have no smiley for "scared")
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

And is the present image the first page of the internet scan or did you print it and make a photograph afterwards?
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Does your teacher use Finale? And is it for 2 pianos or 1 piano 4 hands?
pupv20

Post by pupv20 »

Hi. The image that i've uploaded is my scan. She gave me the printed score in the class. The duet is for 2 pianists, 1 piano. The only thing I know for sure is that she use to print scores from Russian websites, but I cannot find it anywhere...What do you think? Do I have any chance finding the composer's name?
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

I would suggest the following:

- search using the most popular Russian search engine, Yandex;

- make a good scan of the score (not just a photo) and use the "search by image" function provided by most search engines, including Yandex.

Max
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Then I believe this score was typeset by someone, because 4-hand pieces are typeset by publishers piano-I right page, piano-II left page. The braces look like Finale's, so the most likely source is a Finale score-exchange forum.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

You may be right about the typesetting, but there is also an alternative format for 4-hand pieces which puts both parts on the same page. Of course, that layout is not as comfortable to read as the more traditional format, but it does exist.