Moderator: kcleung

LucasSACastro
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Recognize postmodern piece from written down theme

Post by LucasSACastro »

Hello, fellows;

I had a pianist teacher who played a piece, but I can't remember its name, neither its composer; I only know it is postmodern. However, I liked it pretty much, and its theme is still in my heart. I wrote down the following incipit:[img]
Ear transcripition of a piece I once heard.
Ear transcripition of a piece I once heard.
Sem título.png (95.06 KiB) Viewed 8903 times
[/img].

Does someone know what is its name, and its composer? Thank you.

Ps.: [I do not own any copyright; this is not a copy from the piece, but an attempt of recognize it from memory.]
jossuk
active poster

Re: Recognize postmodern piece from written down theme

Post by jossuk »

Unfortunately, not recognizable (by me) from the few notes given. Am curious, however, about the reason for choosing the very old soprano clef to post the melody.
LucasSACastro
regular poster

Post by LucasSACastro »

jossuk wrote:Unfortunately, not recognizable (by me) from the few notes given. Am curious, however, about the reason for choosing the very old soprano clef to post the melody.
By first, it fitted very well to the key I used to the phrase; I wrote that originally at the grand staff, but as it was only a transcription of theme, not an arrangement, I felt free to transcend the pattern. Secondly, as I am a devouted traditionalist, I generally prefer to use the older form usable, in order to revive it or maintain it alive.

Anyway, I hope someone recognizes that piece, for I heard it some times on the TV.
LucasSACastro
regular poster

Post by LucasSACastro »

The problem is I am not able to research all the possibilities. One composer which I really believe we should investigate is Philip Glass; begin a live composer, however, very few of its music is available, so that we can never have access to everything from an unified source.
I really have an impression the piece may be his, however, because that kind of sparse notes is typically his, and I read somewhere he likes sequences of three notes. Also, I am sure the piece is postmodern.

Sorry for posting again; the anterior publication wasn't approved still.
kuribas

Post by kuribas »

Is it Yann Tiersen - "Comptine d`un autre ete" from Yann Tiersen? I know this, because almost every piano-student wants to play this (to my displaisure).
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

"Comptine d`un autre ete" is indeed the piece, as a quick visit to YouTube will confirm. Excellent detective work!