Recommendations for piano pieces?

Moderator: kcleung

GeorgeChopin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Recommendations for piano pieces?

Post by GeorgeChopin »

Hello,

I was just wondering if anybody's got any recommendations for piano pieces that are fun to play and sound good; but aren't awfully difficult?

I've learnt Chopin's Prelude in E Minor Op. 28, the first page of Beethoven's Piano sonata no. 23, and the first page of Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody no. 2 in C# Minor.
I've also learnt about the first 10 or so bars of Beethoven's 3rd Piano Concerto.

As you can see.... my attention can dwindle and wander occassionally, but I can learn pieces if I put my mind to it hahaha

Anyway, yeah. Anybody got any recommendations?

Much appreciated!
Thanks,
George
sixhobbits
regular poster

Post by sixhobbits »

Chopin's Waltzes are very nice, and some of them aren't that difficult. Maybe you should listen to a recording of them and see which ones 'grab' you.

Personally, I like Op. 70 no.1 Gb. I used to play it.

Sixhobbits
Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Lyle Neff »

Try some of Cesar Cui's piano music. The Miniatures (Opp. 20 and 39) are probably the easiest of his piano works, and you can proceed from there. Both of those opus numbers, I think, will be on IMSLP when it is revived, as well as several other sets of his pieces. :D
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

Not to be shallow and unsophisticated, but I really like some of the more laid-back Joplin rags, like Solace and The Easy Winner, if they're not below your difficulty level.

Beyond that, the 3rd movement of Beethoven's 17th sonata is always fun. I also really enjoyed Brahms's Ballade in G Minor from 6 Klavierstücke - I don't know the Opus number.
lisztener

Post by lisztener »

About the Cui piano music, there is a very good site (If you don't already have it) that is great for piano music, especially russian composers: http://www.piano.ru/library-e.html

I'm not sure if those specific pieces are there, but you can have a look.
GeorgeChopin

Thanks!

Post by GeorgeChopin »

Thank you very much for these recommendations! I had a look at those Ciu scores and they do seem rather simple, yet effective in sound.

All your help is much appreciated!
George
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

Looks like your practice style is similar to mine.

the first page of piece X...nooo, that's getting too hard (or too boring), go on to something else...

Keep on persevering with the Beethoven 3rd Concerto, it gets better and better. His 1st Concerto (in C major) is fun to play too, especially the 3rd movement.

Aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
GeorgeChopin

Post by GeorgeChopin »

the first page of piece X...nooo, that's getting too hard (or too boring), go on to something else...
Haha! That is exactly my thoughts. I think you can all agree though that when the second page of Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody is but glanced at one must cringe at the appoggiatura (sp.?)

But yeah, and liking the picture btw :P
Sathrandur

Post by Sathrandur »

Difficult depends on your level of experience.
I suggest perhaps the rondo from Beethoven's Pathetique sonata Op. 13.
I have just been doing that myself. I have just got to perfect a few bits to it now. Quite a lot of fun to play, great to listen to, and I don't think it's too difficult. Althought there are moments where having bigger hands and agile fingers can make things a little easier. Anyway, if you have been practicing many of Rachmaninoff's piano works, you come back to something like this, and you realise it is not nearly as hard as you might have thought to begin with!