"Les jeux d'eaux a la Villa d'Este" by Liszt

Moderator: kcleung

Rogerg
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

"Les jeux d'eaux a la Villa d'Este" by Liszt

Post by Rogerg »

On the second page of the piece is the instruction, "una corda", then again on the next page,"sempre una corde". For the remainder of the piece there are no further "corde" instructions, specifically no indication to return to "tre corde". Was this an oversight by Liszt or the publisher? Surely he did not intend the remainder of the piece to be "una corde". Is the point of change back to "tre corde" dictated by the character of the music? It would be interesting to get some opinions on this.
coulonnus
active poster

Re: "Les jeux d'eaux a la Villa d'Este" by Liszt

Post by coulonnus »

Is it the same with all publishers?
Rogerg
regular poster

Post by Rogerg »

I just recently discovered that there is a manuscript version on IMSLP in which Liszt does not indicate to return to "tre corde". So evidently it is not a publisher's error. I have the Dover edition and there are two different published editions on IMSLP which are all the same in this regard. Is it possible that there exists a published version reviewed by Liszt clarifying this?
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

The Kalmus edition doesn't have these una corda.

I imagine rinforzando at (169,4,3) and un poco espressivo at (170,4,2) of the Breitkopf edition or meas. 22 and 48 of the Budapest edition imply 3 corde.
Rogerg
regular poster

Post by Rogerg »

In the Kalmus Edition note that on page 3 under "tremelando" the pedal mark is followed by "u. c.".