Faure 4th Nocturne - misprints?

Moderator: kcleung

HonkyTonk
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Faure 4th Nocturne - misprints?

Post by HonkyTonk »

The edition I use is the same as that available for download on this site and I'm wondering if anybody has a more recent edition where any misprints have been corrected. In the penultimate bar of the third page should the "d"s and "a"s in the descending right hand passage revert to being flats while the "c" retains the natural sign indicated in the first part of the bar? The following bar suggests that this should be the correct reading.
coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Faure 4th Nocturne - misprints?

Post by coulonnus »

A lesser-know typesetting guideline! Accidentals put under an 8va line do not affect notes after the end of this 8va section. So D and A in the last 6-tuplet should be flat. But the problem remains for the C.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Oh, the D flat holds with both interpretations! There is one just before the half measure.
HonkyTonk
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by HonkyTonk »

Thanks for the reply. However the "a" which appears as the last note of the 8va indication should surely be a flat in order to correspond with the passage at the end of the bar?

I have a very old copy (falling to bits!) of the first 8 nocturnes that was once owned by Howard Ferguson. Although the only other nocturne I play is the third (a situation that I ought to remedy) I notice there are a number of places throughout where Ferguson, presumably, has pencilled in queries concerning accidentals.

Perhaps I will have to bite the bullet and buy a newer and better edition. I believe Peters published a critical edition of the piano music.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

HonkyTonk wrote:Thanks for the reply. However the "a" which appears as the last note of the 8va indication should surely be a flat in order to correspond with the passage at the end of the bar?.
Sure it is! The flat of 2nd note of this bar is still valid at this position.
I have a very old copy (falling to bits!) of the first 8 nocturnes that was once owned by Howard Ferguson. Although the only other nocturne I play is the third (a situation that I ought to remedy) I notice there are a number of places throughout where Ferguson, presumably, has pencilled in queries concerning accidentals.

Perhaps I will have to bite the bullet and buy a newer and better edition. I believe Peters published a critical edition of the piano music.
Try you luck at http://www.di-arezzo.fr/accueil_cla.php ... edirection There is a Peters. I'm sure IMC is a reprint. I suspect Leduc and Durand are also reprints of this source edition. Need to study the history of these publishers. Couldn't find the piece at Henle.