Pentatonic Improvs?

Moderator: kcleung

SanFranciscoBayAlien

Pentatonic Improvs?

Post by SanFranciscoBayAlien »

I also call this "Slam Poetry" for piano...if anyone's city has a lotta coffie houses or if anyones involved with organizations with pianos inside their bulidings...does anyone in those places just come up and spontanaeously perform their own piece, just up out of nowhere? It's happened many times where I live and these performers usually can't read music and play by ear/memory, and their "origional" piece that they create during their impromptu performance has so many whole steps I could see them do this on the piano even if they use both white and black keys! I asked one of these performers and he had no idea what a pentatonic scale even was! I don't think it's a bad trend, actually. I just wished they wouldn't fear dissonants so much. It may be true that no one can come up with an origional opus or melody anymore, but "Twentieth Century" classical music made up for it in it's abstraction, and for me at least, in it's power. I'd love to hold events similar to slam poetry sessions where these performers, young or old, were playing their own "Rudepoema" and the audiece could be more impressed with how fast, and passionate/refined they were than the melody of the piece itself (people are getting more and more dissonant intolerant these days, I can't understand why myself...there's still lots of it in pop/underground/or experimental electronic music)! Sound interesting?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Never happened where I go. :P

In terms of dissonance, it only works with me if used in it's tonal origins. If it ignores how it exists it's only noise mostly.
SanFranciscoBayAlien

Post by SanFranciscoBayAlien »

...."Tonal Origins?" Does that just mean scales? I'll probably never get a full music theory instruction...
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Dissonance that ignores completely the rules governed by each note's harmonics is less natural.
BeFrSc

Post by BeFrSc »

I've done a Quartet on an Organ with 4 Manuals, one person on each manual, and everyone on the pedals doing chords being said by the person leading the improvisation, and just improvisation on the chords on the black notes, it was really fun, and sounded good, but most of it was just noise, but you could hear each individual part, great stuff.