Telemann cantata texts

Moderator: kcleung

panda
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Telemann cantata texts

Post by panda »

I have finished my transcriptions of the cantatas from Telemann's Harmonische Gottesdienst. For a new project in this Telemann anniversary year, I was wondering about transcribing some of the cantatas from the Engels-Jahrgang collection. Many of them (parts only) are on IMSLP. While the notes are not a problem, the texts are too difficult for me to decipher as they are in the old script. Does anyone know if a collection of texts has been published somewhere?
coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Telemann cantata texts

Post by coulonnus »

There is an edition of the 72 cantatas of the Harmonische Gottesdienst by Max Seifert, 1953. It certainly contains the lyrics. See if you can find it in a library.
panda
forum adept

Post by panda »

Thanks but this is one of the two volumes I've already done. It's the 1729 Engels-Jahrgang set I'm looking for.
coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by coulonnus »

I have borrowed a CD with a set of Telemann cantatas from the library of Nice and I could easily provide their lyrics but it is unclear if they belong to this Engels-Jahrgang. Perhaps you could add a topic in the Telemann Discussion and provide the titles of those you are looking for.
panda
forum adept

Post by panda »

If it's this CD then I would be very pleased indeed to see the lyrics since these would be three possible cantatas to work on:
https://www.hbdirect.com/coverm/thumbna ... 9.pt01.jpg

many thanks!
Irishmaestro
forum adept

Post by Irishmaestro »

Sorry to resurrect a slightly old thread, but if you're still interested, the texts (by Daniel Stoppe) were printed in a textbook. The title is "Schwanengesang, bestehend aus einem poetischen Jahrgange über die Evangelien aller Sonn- und Festtage, zu welchem der Capellmeister Telemann in Hamburg die Music verfertiget". There is a digitised copy available at the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin

I hope that helps!
panda
forum adept

Post by panda »

Excellent, thank you very much! This will be of great assistance.
panda
forum adept

Post by panda »

All 72 cantatas have now been transcribed and uploaded. Some excellent music included there so hopefully these pieces will now be more accessible.