Recreating a score.

Moderator: kcleung

reynard61
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Recreating a score.

Post by reynard61 »

I'm currently trying to recreate the score to the Ferdinand Ries Symphony No. 3, Op.90 and am wondering if the parts on this site are complete. The reason that I ask is because I recently tried listening to what I've completed so far compared with a recording that I have (Zürcher Kammerorchester under Howard Griffiths) and the instrumentation from that (flute, oboe[?], bassoon, strings) doesn't match up with the instrumentation in the parts-book. (flute, 2 violins, 2 violas, cello, bass.) Did Griffiths simply use a different arrangement? Please help! Thanks in advance.
panda
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Recreating a score.

Post by panda »

The version on IMSLP is an arrangement of the original, which is scored for 2 fl, 2 ob, 2 cl, 2 bsn, 2 horns, 2 tpts, 2 trombones, timp, strings. The autograph is in the State Library in Berlin. The original instrumental parts published by Simrock are in the British Library.
reynard61
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by reynard61 »

Okay, thanks. (*sigh!* Ten months work for nought... :( )
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

I can imagin, that - especially in times of corona - the chamber music version is highly estimated. So i would recommand to upload your edition.
panda
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by panda »

yes you could upload your version, and then go through it with the autograph to make a new edition of the original version (a lot of the notes in the string parts will already be there)