Can someone please verify if this score I have obtained is still under copyright...?

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

JCH
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Can someone please verify if this score I have obtained is still under copyright...?

Post by JCH »

Composition: Chvalte Boha silného (ZWV 165)

Composer: Jan Dismas Zelenka (1679-1745)

Publisher: Editio Supraphon (1949/67-2000), now defunct.

Score title "Jan Dismas Zelenka - Psalmi"

Score published: 1990, editor Jaroslav Smolka, Thesaurus Musicae Bohemiae, Seria B

The score itself is a scholarly / Urtext score with substantial biography of the composer, notes on the manuscripts and sources it was derived from, and presents no additions or changes to Zelenka's original composition.

P.S - As it is relevant to copyright laws, I live in the UK - needless to say no longer in the EU.
Sallen112
active poster

Re: Can someone please verify if this score I have obtained is still under copyright...?

Post by Sallen112 »

If its considered Urtext and published more than 25 years ago, its eligible in Canada and the EU but probably is under copyright in the USA. So yes its eligible.
JCH

Re: Can someone please verify if this score I have obtained is still under copyright...?

Post by JCH »

Good to know, thanks for the reply.. although now that the UK is separate from the EU, it is somewhat confusing what protection Urtext scores get, if it is the same or different to other forms, i.e. non Urtext scores.