Can a library claim copyright on unpublished holdings?

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

carmar1791
active poster

Re: Can a library claim copyright on unpublished holdings?

Post by carmar1791 »

We are a little bit out topic to deal with this argument here...but in short:
All my files (IMSLP files) are PD so you can do what you want (clean them re edit ,sell,etc).It's a job (or an hobby) like an other.

What compelled me to do this, is because when I was a student (I lived in a very small town) I didn't have enought possibility ( money too) to purchase me sheet music.Now I have a huge collections of pieces and ,when possible,I think ,the the best thing is to share them with who couldn't purcase them in an other way.
Your cds are not expensive and many people (expecially who does not have broad band) will prefer a cd than a download from web site.
IMSLP is the best place
because it is all free , and I feel like in a big family where all members help when and where they can.
So feel free to do what you want expecially if your work is legal and you use a lot of your time.

Ps
(Pay attention there are files in your viola cd that are not PD in Europe)

If you want to write more i think is better to open a new topic.

and Sorry for my english

Greetings

Carmar
Last edited by carmar1791 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JDH
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by JDH »

I thank you for your reply, for your willingness to write in English, and most of all for the music that you have made available to all.
Brianjvo
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Brianjvo »

Man, copyright laws are so dang confusing. I thought it would be illegal to take something that is free, package it and then sell it. But I see it on Ebay all the time. I too appreciate the music.

Brian
carmar1791
active poster

Post by carmar1791 »

If something is free, you are free to choose if it's better to get it for free or to pay it (on ebay etc).. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Greetings

Ps
copyright laws are quite simple if you practice a little bit this matter,
people are so lazy.... so that they prefer to stay in their ignorance...and pay what is free......