Some questions about publisher's copyrights of PD music

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

dsoslglece
regular poster

Some questions about publisher's copyrights of PD music

Post by dsoslglece »

Hi,
I did post this somewhere else first, since I didn't know there was such a place as here, where it seems much more adequate for it to be...

I've scanned the score + the solo parts and also the orchestral parts from an Ysaÿe's work, but I'd like some more data about the way things could have been copyrighted.

On the score there is in fact no serial number, nor date or whatever. Is of the original edition: from « Les Éditions Ysaÿe » and so, the work having been composed in 1924, and probably published before Ysaÿe's death (1931), it should present no problem...

I've had that score given to me long ago by Antoine Ysaÿe the last son of Eugène... and I got later the orchestra parts from the « Bibliothèque Royale de Bruxelles ». It looks like it is exactly this same edition (same letters and so on). So, that should be OK too...

But now, for the solo string quartet parts, I remember having bought them from "Les Éditions Shott-Bruxelles"... but it seems that they used the old same material as the original ones, since they are exactly identical on any aspects: fonts, shape of the clefs and notes, etc...

I know that Schott had been for quite long time already (since the shutting off of Les Éditions Ysaÿe), the place having the last of Ysaÿe's music, I'd say the back log of it; they had gotten it from Antoine, a decade or two before his death (he died around 1983), and I wonder if in such a case it is still considered as the old edition or else...

Anyway, if this is the case, I could of course redo a whole setup with Finale, from those solo parts or even from the manuscripts of them that are not completely identical to the printed music.

It is a beautiful piece, never played... but natch!... since it is not available anymore, just like most of Ysaÿe's music, (and lot of other too!)...

So, if someone could advise me, it'd be very nice, since I'm just waiting for this to upload the whole batch of Ysaÿe's « Harmonies du soir »... and a lot of other too, to come shortly after...

Thanks in advance
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

(See my answer on the other thread.)